MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a thread about the Clio 172 vs. the MINI, stu(pid) says that they've shaved weight off of the Clio by removing Xenon headlights, Aircon, and ABS. I understand that the later two add weight, but do Xenon headlights really add weight, and if so, how much?

I DRIVE A COOPER "S" IN EIGHT DAYS !!!! CAN'T FREAKIN' BELIEVE IT !!!

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
I can't see there being much weight difference. Bulbs aren't exactly heavy, and the light housing can't be all that different. Anyone else know more?

Dom

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
hi
I was under the impression xenons are very LIGHT :D :D

PS GET IT!!!!!!!!!! LIGHT

PS,That was a kind of thing Smiffy would come out with;) ;)

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
The retractable headlight washer system will add a little weight ... you think this will be offset by the "lighter than air" gas in the bulbs ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
MINIAC said:
The retractable headlight washer system will add a little weight ... you think this will be offset by the "lighter than air" gas in the bulbs ;)
Nope-- xenon is a very heavy gas. I saw a demo once, and it made for the proverbial "lead balloon."

There's my smarty input for the day.:D

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The Xenon's are not lighter. The reflector and the bulb will be similar in weight, but the powerwash and ballast will not.

Pictured below, you'll see the two major bits of kit on the Xenon's are a solinoid to activate the little retractable washer arms, and strapped to the bottom of the light, is a square plastic craddle. It holds a metal boxed step-up transformer, that is about 4" x 4" x 1". It is solid, and contains coiled metal wire. I'm sure it's heavy. You can it the two top silver corners of it protruding from it's plastic sling.

I do not know how much heavier it is.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts