MINI Cooper Forum banner

Do you wax/polish your wheels

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poll for those who polish or wax their wheels. Just wondered how common this is.

·
Always on Overboost
2,524 Posts
Yes - makes it alot easier to clean next time as the break dust comes off easier :D

Don't do it often enough though :rolleyes:

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wax mine every few weeks or so, always have done :)
I supppose that you'll agree that it makes them easier to clean then. How do you find the split rims you have - do the nuts in the side make them a nightmare or are they ok as long as you keep them nice? Do you use different wax or the same. I find ordinary car wax works well - after all its designed for laquered paint!:cool:

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes - makes it alot easier to clean next time as the break dust comes off easier :D

Don't do it often enough though :rolleyes:
It only takes 5 minutes! Can save 10! Just remember to do the top of the wheel!

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
I supppose that you'll agree that it makes them easier to clean then. How do you find the split rims you have - do the nuts in the side make them a nightmare or are they ok as long as you keep them nice? Do you use different wax or the same. I find ordinary car wax works well - after all its designed for laquered paint!:cool:
I have a washing up brush to clean around the split rim, that then cleans in the bolts as well ;) Then I use TurtleWax Extreme Nano Tech Wax for Wheels on the outsides, polished rim and the insides ;)

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a washing up brush to clean around the split rim, that then cleans in the bolts as well ;) Then I use TurtleWax Extreme Nano Tech Wax for Wheels on the outsides, polished rim and the insides ;)
How does it compare to autoglym / MINI polish - thats what I tend to use at the moment. People often say I'm sad for polishing my wheels / cleaning the inside, but it makes life easier when it comes to cleaning them and dirty wheels look bad.:angry: Does a washing up brush not scratch?

·
231bhp on Lohen's dyno
1,741 Posts
I'm a regular waxer:p:biggrin:

Best way to give the wheels a proper clean is to take them off & do the insides as well:wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
How does it compare to autoglym / MINI polish - thats what I tend to use at the moment. People often say I'm sad for polishing my wheels / cleaning the inside, but it makes life easier when it comes to cleaning them and dirty wheels look bad.:angry: Does a washing up brush not scratch?
Dont know, ive only really used that.

Of course the brush doesnt scratch, wouldnt use it otherwise ;) Its only one of these type things....

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a regular waxer:p:biggrin:

Best way to give the wheels a proper clean is to take them off & do the insides as well:wink:
Agreed - that's what alloys should look like.:cool:

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
I just use the car as what I use on the Mini. Megs Show Glaze #7 and wax! So easy to rub of brake dust and dirt

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dont know, ive only really used that.

Of course the brush doesnt scratch, wouldnt use it otherwise ;) Its only one of these type things....
I would definitely recommend autoglym however it is a bit dusty.

The sort of brush I was thinking of was a bit more harsh than that one! I was thinking closer to a brillo pad really, but saying that, what else is that! Its me - we don't even have one of those, however, I do have an autoglym wheel brush which is good but doesn't like the corners of the rim and spokes if you know what I mean!;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I use Chemical Guys EZ Glaze with Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 or Chemical Guys Wheel Guard on it's own. Both work very well, give a nice finish and makes the wheels much easier to clean.

Talking of cleaning I use Swissvax Wheel Brush and EZ Detail Brush

Photo of the end result,

Attachments

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Most definately!! I took them off a while ago to clean them properly and wax every bit of them so that the dirt come off easier.

Might have to do it again soon as I drove to england and back from ireland and they are almost too dirty to get in the back to clean them.

Have waxed them since I got them:D

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Using polish on the wheels

It's a good idea to wax them as they are easier to clean afterwards.

I use Meguiars or Turtle Wax spray-on alloy cleaner and Turtle Wax tissue rubs to remove any tar deposits :cool:

·
ECMC Addict
801 Posts
Yeah, I wax mine every so often, as I'm trying to find a way of keeping the dirt out of the tiny grooves in the sidewalk alloys i've got. flipping pain in the a***. . Until that time waxing is the only way i can get them really clean

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I wax mine every so often, as I'm trying to find a way of keeping the dirt out of the tiny grooves in the sidewalk alloys i've got. flipping pain in the a***. . Until that time waxing is the only way i can get them really clean
What grooves?:confused:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts