MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Just picked my Cooper up last week. Racing green with white roof. Its great. However, yesterday, the temperature gauge started a high frequency flashing thing and late last night, finally gave up the ghost and now reads blank. Now I know its cold, but has this happened anybody else at all?

Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you mean the engine temperature guage (with the needle in the centre dial) or the outside temperature reading on the rev counter?

It sounds like the latter, because a needle can\'t \'go blank\' !!! If the engine temp guage was flashing I\'d stop and look at it immediately. If it is the outside thermometer, well.... it HAS been cold! Mind you, most cars I\'ve been in will happily display a negative number!

I admit I have not looked at mine in ages. I keep the readout on the MPG display so I know how economical my driving is!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is the temp gauge on the rev counter - but good point all the same. I only have the temperature gauge thingy anyway. Don\'t have the puter. Have driven diesels for yrs - didn;t want to be reminded of the dismal fuel economy. Looks like a loose connection to me but it ain\'t right on a car 7 days old. My golf has done 45000 miles since new and never has there been a squeak - I wasn;t expecitng this from a quasi-BMW

·
Fun on 2 & 4 wheels!
185 Posts
I remember someone else had this problem a month or so ago, but I can\'t remember who it was. Try doing a search for temperature gauge to see who it was...

·
Registered
350 Posts
negative temp should not be a problem. My cooper (also british racing green with white) displays -5 no problem. Give the dealer some hassle :) and don\'t accept a shody courtesy car if you have to be without your pride n joy.

·
Enjoying Married Life!
501 Posts
Dodgy puter.......

We've also have a problem with our little screen flickering and blanking whenever it feels like it. Havn't bothered contacting dealer yet as this (touch wood) is the only problem our MINI one has suffered............

·
Registered
577 Posts
Is the temperature screen an LCD or LED? LCD displays (as used in calculators, cell phones, etc.) are connected to the circuit board with a strip of conductive rubber. If the glass panel is not tight, you will get missing segments or the whole display will go bonkers. Hitting a bump can do it, as can a sudden change in temperature. I found a Nokia cell phone (6190) on the beach and the display was dead, but I remounted the LCD and got it working. I'm too cheap to pay the $40/mo for a cell contract but if I can find something for less, I might activate it. Then I can drive around with it stuck to my ear, weaving all over the road, just like all the other droobs!

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
Mike Cooper had the same problem in his car. It's a known fault. I suspect you have an early car as the fault is supposed to be sorted now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but my May 2002 Cooper has just developped a problem with the outside temperature meter...for last couple of weeks it reads 50C!...It can't be 50C in England:confused: :confused: ...anyway according to my dealer, it is the sensor which is malfunctioning. It is due to be replaced this Wednesday, along with fuel gauge which is pointing E though the tank is full..(known problem ;) ) and the steering column which is making knocking noise...Still remaining positive though...the dealer seems helpful enough :)....Anyway just making a point that this outside temp meter doesn't seem to be an "old problem".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts