MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have pictures of their MINI's with the foglights illuminated? How about a picture of the rear foglight? I had foglights put on a few of my VW's, including a rear one. Although it has gotten me some strange looks, having one in the rear, I really appreciated the added safety. :D :D :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, before the jokes start. The proper spelling of this thread title should be: "Does anyone have pictures of their foglights Illuminated on their MINI", not the pucky I posted. :rolleyes:

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Spoolin' said:
Does anyone have pictures of their MINI's with the foglights illuminated? How about a picture of the rear foglight? I had foglights put on a few of my VW's, including a rear one. Although it has gotten me some strange looks, having one in the rear, I really appreciated the added safety. :D :D :D
Spoolin' are you talking about having fitted a front fog lamp to the rear, or installing a Euro-style solution (no, not the currency :)) with a single red fog lamp at twice the brightness of the brakelights?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was referring to the European one.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Paul!!! I completely forgot about those pics. Very cool! Grrrr, now where's my stinkin' MINI? :D

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
not sure if this is what you were after, but i just popped outside and took these pics...

Dunno if those pics work not, first time I've tried to post one!

Dom

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Dom said:
not sure if this is what you were after, but i just popped outside and took these pics...

Dunno if those pics work not, first time I've tried to post one!

Dom
Thanks Dom, first pictures I've seen of the rear fog lamp lit. It's a shame the US MINIs won't get rear fog lamps - I had one on fitted on my German-spec classic Mini Cooper and it gave me an extra sense of security when driving in poor visibility conditions. (And I also turned it on when someone behind me had their highbeams on and were blinding me :))

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
US spec doesn't have rear fogs? what goes in it's place then? On the rear light clusters and where the switch usually goes?

I'm sure it can't be that hard to change, it may be that to save costs they just have included the bulbs and put a 'blanker' in it's place. Or perhaps you could order the clear lights from Europe...

not sure how clear my pic is, but you get one on each side. I'll take a better pic tomorrow...

Dom

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Dom said:
US spec doesn't have rear fogs? what goes in it's place then? On the rear light clusters and where the switch usually goes?

I'm sure it can't be that hard to change, it may be that to save costs they just have included the bulbs and put a 'blanker' in it's place. Or perhaps you could order the clear lights from Europe...

not sure how clear my pic is, but you get one on each side. I'll take a better pic tomorrow...

Dom
Rear foglamps are unknown in the US -- not required by regulations any place other than Europe (AFAIK). The US-spec MINI's rear light clusters look the same, but BMW will probably add a second tail/stop lightbulb (normal brightness) at the top of the lens in the place of the rear fog lamp.

That will free up a switch - who know what will go in its place? I really don't want a blank there - much rather have a 'dummy' switch if it comes down to it.

BTW, there's a whole thread on blank toggle switches - complete with photo of one.
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1215

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for posting the brilliant photos. One of the first little projects for my MINI will be to make one of those rear foglights operational, using all factory parts. Don't know how yet, but I got it done on my Scirocco, can't be that hard. (nervous voice) :D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Spoolin' said:
Thank you all for posting the brilliant photos. One of the first little projects for my MINI will be to make one of those rear foglights operational, using all factory parts. Don't know how yet, but I got it done on my Scirocco, can't be that hard. (nervous voice) :D
I'd like to do that too. I think modifying the taillamp assembly should be as easy as putting a brighter 50W fog lamp bulb in place of the normal bulb (assuming the US-spec MINIs will have an upper bulb fitted).

But wiring the fog lamp up with the MINI's tricky electrical system will be the challenge -- unless of course the wiring loom has it all there waiting to be used like with a CD changer. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would not be surprised at all, Bruce, if the wiring was pre-existing. I worked as a service writer for BMW for a few years, and we saw our fair-share of people that were looking to modifiy their cars. Electrical stuff was not as complicated as you might think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts