MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the 16" star wheels on my mini, and noticed that it has rust all along the edge discs? and very visable..

is this normal? and has anyone noticed this on there's.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Especially if the car has sat for a few days. Completely normal. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
RUST

Take your MINI for a spin. It should soon go when you use the brakes.

I had the same problem when I didnt use it for a few days, the discs turned orange which looked horrid.

I still have rust on the edge of the discs. You can't see it unless you look close.

:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rusty disc edges

You could clean them and paint the edges with a heat resistant paint - The pads don't come into contact with the edges. This is what I aim to do with mine !!
I also intend to paint the calipers as they have begone to corrode already !!

Chris

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
this rust is not a 'problem' as such, it's merely on the surface. All brake discs do it, although you have to look really close on some. It says something about it in the manual too.

It will probably me amplified in this weather with all the salt on the roads.

Dom

·
Registered
374 Posts
When you say - on the edge of the discs - I presume you mean on the outer circumference of the disc which is not rubbed by the pads. This is indeed perfectly normal, and the layer of oxidised metal can get quite thick.

I would be very wary of painting any part of the disk. Quite apart from the safety issue of getting paint on the wrong part of the disk, the disk will reach very high temperatures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
God have you got problems...Lighten up and feel lucky you dont have all of the std issue crap that comes with a lot of MINI,S. Sure we love it but god it tries your patience,take up bowling you have to much time on your hands!!!!!! :D

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Here, here

Rusty disc brakes.

YOU NEED TO DRIVE IT MORE !!!!

I mean, it's not as if your seats squeak, your electronics are tempromental, your gauges are faulty, your battery is flat, your boot won't close, your suspension is upside down, your interior is scratched, or your car is the wrong colour now is it ?

:D

Oh, and painting your disc brakes ?!? - grow up !!

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
I'm not sure if this was actually a 'moan', but more of a question...

and for the record, my rears 'rust' within about an hour of me washing the car...

Dom

·
Registered
344 Posts
Dom said:
I'm not sure if this was actually a 'moan', but more of a question...

and for the record, my rears 'rust' within about an hour of me washing the car...

Dom
Yeah, no worries mate... Mine does the same... Quite normal... I was amused to park up for an hour, and the up-wind disks went orange, whilst the down-wind disks stayed fine :)
My last car had whacking-great wheel trims, so you didn't tend to notice it so much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts