MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was down by a MINI dealer yesterday afternoon just wanted to see if they had any in the yard because I hadn't seen one and someone was just driving out the gates in a new one, which I was behind for a bit and I gotta say. I don't like it. I think it's stunning with the roof down but with the roof up it loses some of the "mini appeal" just my opinion. Perhaps just with the rain etc over here you wouldn't get much of a chance to drive it with the roof down so it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. I'm a little disapointed now. :rolleyes:

·
Astro Black MINI Maniac
171 Posts
I actually think it looks very goodwith the roof up and best with the roof up and the sunroof slided backwards ..better than a tin top Mini cause of the flat roofline. A lot of friends i have said that too....
with the roof down it still looks quite good but a little messy with these roll over bars and the winddeflector...
i think it´s much prettier than a tintop mini but that might be because i´ve ordered one :D :D :D :D and because you think of the fun you might have with a convertible :p :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't care for it much. It does look better with the top down but not good enough for me.
I do like convertibles as I have an MGB and an MG midget but for me it just does not fit the MINI. I am sure most will disagree with me ...which is obvious by the waiting lists at the dealers.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I really quite like it but there are things I don't like (there are things I really really like though) I don't like the roof fabric. I went to the launch on a typical rainy day and the black roof didn't look too bad but the blue convertible roof was wet and looked really streaky and ugly. Supposedly it is because it is the mohair type of roof and the rain water behaved oddly on the roof like it doesn't flow off properly. I'm sure theres something you could put on there but I thought it looked messy + England it rains alot!

I also didn't like the position of the strip brake light. Just positioning or something.

The rest I really like! It's cute and put a smile on my face!

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Does ambivalent count?

I won't be buying one. Not a big fan of convertibles. The ones that look like you have wrinkled laundry in the back.

Looks better than a PT Cruiser conv though. Finally got a good look the other day.............nah!

·
UberGeek
850 Posts
I think it's... Ok. The roof-chop chop seems fairly well executed, given that there is a fair amount of engineering involved.
I can't help feel that it's far more a 'girl' car, where-as the tin-top is rather more unisex. I suspect that the cabrio is aimed at the female portion of the market too. Not that I'm trying to feminise all the guys out that that own or are going to own the roofless version!

-Lee

·
I like MINIs I do
331 Posts
Wasn't keen at first, but the more I see it the more I love it. By the time mine arrives, I may actually try and marry the thing.

I think the conv. is as unisex as the tintop, and I can't think of anything better than the MINI's size, handling and power, with the ultimate pleasure you get from driving a convertible on a hot summers day with the stereo blasting out. *drools*

·
Registered
803 Posts
Love it with the roof down.........with the roof up I would have to agree with you Lou, i think the shape of it especially at the back of the roof is lost a bit and IMO doesnt look great. Saying that however I would still love one! Especially if I lived in a warmer country like the US

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Well, I'm not rushing out to buy one - not keen on the look with the roof up, just my opinion, and yes, two other factors hinder me - our climate, and the fact that, living in a small town, everyone would be em, putting it politely, thinking "Who does he think he is? " ...............:eek: :(

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh and I don't like the boot hinges either. They don't look bad but I think they take from rather than add to the car. Looks better without them. All in all it's made my life easier, I was convinced I'd want one and now I don't so when I upgrade, I'll just be getting a tin top S, rather than a convertable S and that'll be cheaper on me, and my insurance! Happy Days

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
The vast majority of cars whaich start off as hard tops and then get the chop do not look very good with the roof up and the same is partly true of the Mini. However, I think it is one of the best looking rag tops out there with the roof up considering it's an addon and with it down it's super cool - but as ever with the British weather, you will spend far more time with it up rather than down :(

I really do want one (hot orange + Blue roof pls) but I'm going to leave it a while until all the problems (which there will inevitably be when a such a major change is launched) have been found and ironed out. By then I'll have got my moneys worth out of my current MINI too.

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
Off topic, but anybody seen one of the PT Cruiser convertibles with the top up? Yikes. I mean, I don't want to bash on it, but it just doesn't look good at all, IMO. It doesn't look bad with the top down.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The convertible is ghastly. Hideous. Truly dreadful. Everyone should withdraw their names from their dealers' waiting lists. Now.

:D

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
I would not say that I like it. It more that I don't care. Not a convertable kind of person.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
27 Participants
Mini Lou
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing