MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn't happen often, but on certain road surfaces I can fell my steering *pull* quite powerfully to the left under braking. There is this particular point where it happens every time.

I was just wondering if the same has happened to anyone else?

The only thing I can put it down to is that my car suffers from the 'pull to the left' syndrome.

Cheers

LMB:(

·
Registered
577 Posts
It could very well be related to the left pull, but it could also be due to air in the left front brake line or even unequal tyre (see, I can communicate in "The King's English!" too) pressures. You might want to check yours with a good pressure gauge. If it seems worse on a rough road, it could be the suspension movement is causing the steering rack to move slightly, and since the MINI has quick power assisted steering, it might aggravate the left drift due to the road crown. To see if it is air in the brake line, try pumping the pedal slightly before you brake to see if that makes a difference.

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
My car really squirms under hard braking but you don't really notice it under normal braking.

I've noticed if there is a funny camber on the road it tends to follow it under braking as well.

Has to be related to the pull problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Since I have my new wheels/tires my car sometimes also pulls when braking. It appears only on some roads. And it is not and has never been pulling only to the left, it simply follows the chamber.

Mini-Fan

P.S.: Sorry for my english, I think it's not very good, but there is no german forum as good as this one :eek:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I could do with TVRMan or Racer or someone who knows confirming this, but under braking, on some cambers the car will ALWAYS pull that way, often strongly, as a result of the camber, and nothing else. Those who play Gran Turismo will know what I mean...
My GTi used to pull left on approach to certain r-abouts, as does the MINI, but only SOME - ie it's not the car, it's the road...anyone like to explain why you notice more under braking??? :confused: :)

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
But my Mini Cooper didn't do it so why does my MINI Cooper Works? It is not a normal feeling, it feels really odd as if the car is trying to go somewhere you are not pointing it.

The squirming under braking is definitely not right and it is directly related to the pull to the left.

My local BMW garage tried to cure the pull but made it worse and now the squiming under braking is worse. It has even proved dangerous when I tried to take evasive action whilst braking hard. The car was all over the shop. Luckily my old Go-Karting skills came into play. I could see someone less experienced could get themselves into all sorts of trouble.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Left Braking

Yeah... the one time I had to stop sharpish in my old MINI One I felt it pull very hard to the left. I put it down to part of the overall pulling problem.

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
Re: Brake Pull

R1 said:
Nope! My car breaks in a straight line. :)
Not quite sure if my car broke or if it was built like this :D ;) anyway... I also think this is probably related to the pull, my current car does pull under braking. Hopefully my new one won't :rolleyes:

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ginge said:
But my Mini Cooper didn't do it so why does my MINI Cooper Works? It is not a normal feeling, it feels really odd as if the car is trying to go somewhere you are not pointing it.
I think it feels *very* unnerving, it is really quit violent, like you a fighting for control of the car. But like I said before, it is only on some road surfaces.

LMB:(

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, if it is only on certain road surfaces, it would tend to indicate it's not the fault of the car. Perhaps some of these guys have got left pulling motors, but LMB, I honestly think that it's down to the road - if it was a fault with the suspension how could it happen only some of the times.
When you're really racing (which I NEVER do obviously) you can use the brakes to unsettle the car prior to a corner to make the back end slide...
Come on - somebody support me on this!

JV

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JV said:
Well, if it is only on certain road surfaces, it would tend to indicate it's not the fault of the car. Perhaps some of these guys have got left pulling motors, but LMB, I honestly think that it's down to the road - if it was a fault with the suspension how could it happen only some of the times.
When you're really racing (which I NEVER do obviously) you can use the brakes to unsettle the car prior to a corner to make the back end slide...
Come on - somebody support me on this!

JV
JV in all my years of driving I have never noticed it on any other car I have driven. I am not talking about hard on the brakes either. I recon it is a combination of both.

LMB :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
strange pull under braking

Had a mad ride into work down some country lanes while being persued by a golf this morning, left it for dead but had some very strange handling when on the brakes hard into bends, almost frightening at times might be what your experiencing? I was planning to check tyre pressures tonight.

Minihaha is 2 months old and has no pull to the left normally. Cooper + Chilli Pack and 17" Wheels for info.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: strange pull under braking

Minihaha said:
Had a mad ride into work down some country lanes while being persued by a golf this morning, left it for dead but had some very strange handling when on the brakes hard into bends, almost frightening at times might be what your experiencing? I was planning to check tyre pressures tonight.

Minihaha is 2 months old and has no pull to the left normally. Cooper + Chilli Pack and 17" Wheels for info.
Sounds about right!! I have got the same spec as you whether that has any bearing on the matter I am not sure. I have decided to take my dealership's service manager for a spin to see what he has to say. I have not got time to do that until the week after next but I will let you know what he has to say.

LMB:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Strange Pull under Braking

Being an aging biker with Bandit 1200 and knowing what a huge difference tire pressure can make to the handing of a bike (yes even a B12), I thought I'd have a play with my tyre pressures this weekend.

It seems to have made quite a difference, calmed down the steering quite a bit when braking from loony speeds / bumpy bends etc, now running 2.1 bar instead of 2.5 as supplied by dealer (not sure what tp I should be using 17" not listed in handbook).
:cool:

Have a go and let me know what you think

PS anyone know recomended TP for Cooper / Chilli / 17" wheel combo?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Girlfriend AKA Bagpuss, had an accident in her Cooper, we have been unable to work out what happened as she cannot remember what went wrong. The road where the accident happened was relatively straight and she ended up half way up a grass embankment. The car was only 3 days old and we had only done just over 200 miles. She does say however that she had braked hard and the car didn't go in the direction she was pointing at the time. This all happened well over 3 months ago and we are still waiting for the car to be repaired - The insurance company found nothing wrong, nor (so say) did the dealer where we purchased the car. If all goes well, I should be going to pick the car up this Friday... (After many stressful phone calls talking to the BMW Dealer and (the Useless – but that’s another story) Mini Accident management.) of which one of the things I was going to do was see how the car behaved under extreme breaking i.e. emergency break.

Oh and by the way – it’s a November build.

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
JV said:
I could do with TVRMan or Racer or someone who knows confirming this, but under braking, on some cambers the car will ALWAYS pull that way, often strongly, as a result of the camber, and nothing else. Those who play Gran Turismo will know what I mean...
My GTi used to pull left on approach to certain r-abouts, as does the MINI, but only SOME - ie it's not the car, it's the road...anyone like to explain why you notice more under braking??? :confused: :)

As if by magic and a week late !!

3 reasons for pull to the left not associated with the 'left pull syndrome'

1) Camber

If you have a left camber (small or large) the right suspension will be more compressed than the left - The negative camber set-up of the wheels means that the more the suspension is compressed the flatter the tyre will sit on the road - This would mean that the right tyre has more surface area on the road than the left - With more surface area it gets inherently more grip than the left and thus advances faster - since the wheel cannot move ahead of the left whell it exhibits it's desire on the steering wheel hence a pull to the left

2) Under braking with camber - The supsension is compressed further the differences above are exaggerated - the car pulls more

3) Road surfaces - Many roads drainage systems etc run down the left hand side - The left hand side of the road is the favourite for being dugg up (it means only shutting off part instead of all of the road - The surface where you left tyre rides is thus different to that on the right with different grip properies etc. So if on a left camber the left surface is less grippy the pull is made worse whilst if the surface is more grippy the camber pull is negated hence no pull

Any questions ??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bagpuss's Accident

Sounds like Bagpuss had a similar experience to me only I got away with it, I can understand what happened to her. When I said it was frightening I meant it, I was not overstating my concern about Minihaha's reaction to hard braking.

I do not believe it has anything to do with cambers etc. As all cars react to them and we're all used to the affect they have, it’s a real felling of WHAT THE **** is Happening, lowering the tyre pressures has helped by slowing the steering down.:confused:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Tire pressures can affect handling more than most people think. A lot of people run the tyres slightly overinflated for more "road feel." It also reduces rolling resistance and can increase MPG. But on the downside, it can reduce traction in corners and put you into a slide. Once you break traction, everything happens quickly. Not everyone knows how to react to bring the car back under control and that's what keeps the body shops in business.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have driven quite a few cars over the past few years - of which my current car is a VW. The last two cars that I have had have all had ABS and my current VW has the Brake distribution thing - as does the mini. I have never experienced a violent pull to the left (I do admit that there is some left pull slightly on some roads - but this can be compensated.) whilst breaking hard of while standing on the break pedal. However, whilst driving to work this morning with my girlfriend in the passenger seat of the Rover Courtesy car from BMW, we came across a van trying to overtake on a bend. The road concerned is reasonably wide and does have a steep camber. The Vectra that was in front had to emergency break - didn't look like it pulled much to the left. Whilst I had to break hard too, the Rover hasn't got ABS and the car did pull to the left when the wheels locked, but did get the car back under control. My girlfriend promptly 'bricked' herself - as did I. When we had gone on a bit further she said she thought it was all going to happen again, but when she had her accident the mini behaved worse and she couldn't control what it did.

Luckily when my girlfriend had her accident she wasn’t going very fast (this morning I was travelling around 50/60 Mph). I could quite see that if she was travelling at that speed then she would have had severe injuries, or worse still, she may not have been here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts