MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm on an economy drive this month I wondered if driving with the headlights on would have a similar effect as driving with the air con on... using the alternator more therefore reducing fuel consumption? Was wondering if Xenons needed more power than regular headlights too?

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
The aircon is different because it has its own compressor that runs directly off the engine and draws more engine power than the alternator. I suppose putting headlights on though will put more load on the alternator, but i think any difference in fuel consumption would be really really tiny.

Also, I may be wrong but i think HID's use less power than Halogens.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
As I'm on an economy drive this month I wondered if driving with the headlights on would have a similar effect as driving with the air con on... using the alternator more therefore reducing fuel consumption? Was wondering if Xenons needed more power than regular headlights too?
The short answer is no, it doesn't effect fuel economy ;).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that might potentially be quite a bit more expensive actually! Cant see me avoiding too much in the dark! :D

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
I won't pretend to know much about the physics of electricity, or how alternators work, but...........

.......... if a MINI is fitted with the efficient dynamics technology, the alternator only charges the battery under acceleration if the battery is running low. Having your lights on full all the time will therefore mean the battery requires more charging, and therefore the alternator will be causing greater drag on your engine more of the time. This means increased fuel consumption? :confused::eek::D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just tried driving with my lights off for a few miles this evening and MPG went up by 30% :eek: ...

I wish ! ;)

So we still have mixed opinions! Think I might stop thinking too hard about economy and start driving the 'S' properly before someone tells me to do so! :D

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
Headlights on will put an extra drain on the battery which dependent on age and codition will require more charge from the alternator, but it's not really going to be noticeable.
However , on dark winter days having lights, wipers, heated rear screen, mirrors, aircon, seats, hi fi and whatever else on will make quite a difference.
In general with just the lights on you won't notice under normal conditions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts