MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
I just got my dream car; 2002 Mini Cooper S with the JCW package. I installed a K&N airfilter (the replacement for the OEM airfilter) and replaced what looked like a FRAM airfilter. Now my MCS isn't as aggressive as it was before the K&N. Has anyone else noticed a negative difference in performance of your MCS after installing a K&N? I've installed this brand of filter on many other cars I've owned, but this was the first time I noticed a negative difference. I think I'm just going to get the Mini-recommended airfilter, unless any of you blokes/sheila's out there would recommend something different. Many thanks!

- Jeremy P. Seda

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
jeremyseda said:
Hey there,
I just got my dream car; 2002 Mini Cooper S with the JCW package. I installed a K&N airfilter (the replacement for the OEM airfilter) and replaced what looked like a FRAM airfilter. Now my MCS isn't as aggressive as it was before the K&N. Has anyone else noticed a negative difference in performance of your MCS after installing a K&N? I've installed this brand of filter on many other cars I've owned, but this was the first time I noticed a negative difference. I think I'm just going to get the Mini-recommended airfilter, unless any of you blokes/sheila's out there would recommend something different. Many thanks!

- Jeremy P. Seda
I think you may find you have just replaced the JCW filter. The JCW kit replaces the standard MINI one. :)

·
Cruising In The Minge
773 Posts
If its a 2002 model it probably had the standard airfilter unless it has had the upgrade to the 210 bhp. Did the air filter have "works" badge on it? If it did you just pulled out the whizz bang air filter, if it didnt then best be off to your nearest dealer and order your JCW upgrade. Got mine on order and from all reviews this is a must have upgrade for a JCW MCS.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I do have the JCW package, but the air filter looked kinda ghetto cheap. So I obviously though that my K&N Air Filter would be a step up. However, the performance on my car has dropped. So does the Hot Air Filter come as part of the JCW package? The one I pulled out looked like a FRAM.

·
Cruising In The Minge
773 Posts
jeremyseda said:
Well, I do have the JCW package, but the air filter looked kinda ghetto cheap. So I obviously though that my K&N Air Filter would be a step up. However, the performance on my car has dropped. So does the Hot Air Filter come as part of the JCW package? The one I pulled out looked like a FRAM.
The air filter comes standard with the new 210bhp JCW kit, but sounds like your just had the standard JCW kit (new kits are only just becoming available). Check out this thread for more info on the 210 upgrade, well worth it by all accounts.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73270

·
No Steenkin Preevileeg
664 Posts
I substituted the OEM filter for a K&N Panel in my 05 MCS halfway thru break-in and I definitely noticed a small increase in power, especially since I live at 6,000 feet. The only way to really know is to dyno the car with both filters to note the difference, if any. But it just feels more powerful. Jimbo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts