MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just sold my Hyundai Coupe to buy a Dooper and I must say the Torque (which is compared to the cooper s) doesn't half give it some power when needed.
My Hyundai did 0-60 in 9.1 secs and the 07 Mini D is meant to do it in 9.9secs but it seems to pull you back in the seat a lot more when you put your foot down.
Not sure if this has anything to do with the size of the 2 cars but I used to own a Mini One which did it in 10 seconds and certainly didn't have anywhere near the power my Diesel has which is supposed to be only 0.1 second faster.

Surely the Diesel goes faster than 9.9 seconds.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's the torque that gives a different sensation of power compared to a higher revving petrol engine.

0-60 times are fairly accurate but in the real world in gear performance is what is impressive in a good Turbo Diesel car and it's this type of performance which give this subjective impression that it's faster than it really is.

Good thing about diesel cars is that you don't have to thrash it to the red line to get the performance although some may perceive that as a disadvantage as there is no substitute for the excitement a free revving petrol car can give.

·
Registered
169 Posts
0-60 times are fairly accurate but in the real world in gear performance is what is impressive in a good Turbo Diesel car and it's this type of performance which give this subjective impression that it's faster than it really is.
"In gear" performance is a bit of a misnomer though and what is actually meant is "in the current gear" performance, ie the low down torque means you can be lazy about gear changes, whereas in a petrol you'd be most likely changing down for similar performance.

Of course, what's important if you want to go fast is torque at the wheels and this is all down to how the gears multiply the engine torque at the driven wheels. Often the reason diesels don't post great 0-60 times is because they need an extra gear change over an equivalent petrol car.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
ScoobyChris
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing