MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way back from work tonight I decided to take the "scenic" route, it was dark and the road was clear. I had a rather aggresive drive home and during this I had a bit of a scare....

Whilst doing about 60 along a nice country alley I suddenly saw about 5 rabbits run across the road in front of me, instinct told me to swerve and I did slightly before remembering what my dad once told me "Don't brake for bunnies". As it was, my slight swerve was enough to set the balance of the car funny and it took a bit of fishtailing before I regained both the car's composure and mine. Anything more severe and it could've turned ugly, there wasn't a great deal of width on the road and rather unforgiving ditches, trees and bushes either side.

I just thought I'd remind you all of the danger of braking/swerving for animals, and give a little moments thought for the bunnies.

Sorry Mr and Mrs Flopsy and bunnikins :(

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Back when I had the Pulsar, I was coming down a hill just near my house, when a Bunny ran onto the road infront of me at about 110km/h, and stopped dead in my headlight beams.

I slammed on the brakes and steered hard right (onto the wrong side of road) and swear it felt like I was on three wheels with the amount of roll that produced. Slid down the middle of the road sideways and came to a stop. Straightened up and drove home (with 10,000kms or so taken off the front left tyre :p).

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
We hear of people dying to many times here in the states because the swerved to miss a dog or other animal. I'd crash my car to miss a child. But I'm not going to kill myself for any animal and if an adult runs out in front of me, they better hope I have plenty of room to swing around them or they'll be dead meat also.

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Z1GZAG N said:
We hear of people dying to many times here in the states because the swerved to miss a dog or other animal. I'd crash my car to miss a child. But I'm not going to kill myself for any animal and if an adult runs out in front of me, they better hope I have plenty of room to swing around them or they'll be dead meat also.
For me, it was more of a reflex action than anything.

Realistically, it would have been easier to hit the bunny and carry on. But I swerved before even thinking about it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
When I was learning, a guy jammed on infront of me as he was taking a bend for a cat, I wasn't travelling particularly close to him but was doing around 50mph, I went in to the back of him and the car behind me was within millimetres of my back bumper, the cat was fine, but I ended up responsible. I wouldn't mind only the guy who jammed on to save the cat got out and started yelling at me for not paying attention? It's an instinct thing, never had a rabbit infront of me, but dogs and cats alright, I've been lucky enough to have avoided hitting any of them but would find it so difficult to continue on driving.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
ButtonIt said:
As it was, my slight swerve was enough to set the balance of the car funny and it took a bit of fishtailing before I regained both the car's composure and mine.
Lucky escape by the sound of it :eek: -- Glad everything was OK :)

·
Mrs OnlyS4me
5,407 Posts
i know but your instinct is to swerve ive even had birds nearly fly into the side of my car and the shock is terrible you feel

:eek:

·
total MINI . com
34,893 Posts
nasty Chris -= glad all ok, and sound advice, as much as I hate hitting any animal :( I once had a seagull flying into my windscreen. Geez, it came out of nowhere and BANG - it was like a red bomb had hit me, noise, blood, feathers every where nad couldn't see a thing, slammed onthe brakes and prayed - really shook me up but all was ok - apart from the seagull which was very dead!

·
Back from the dead!
55,481 Posts
Sorry guys but there is no way I can run over any animal no matter how small just to avoid an accident.

I would also like to say that at night I drive quite slowly especially on country roads to avoid killing anything. The countryside is home to wild animals and you should take that into consideration especially at night.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
17 Participants
Z1GZAG N
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing