MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have mentioned in in the past (I haven't been visiting as frequently as I wanted to!) that I've been have trouble with the fan on my Dooper - like many others it seems! I never got round to getting it sorted beforehand as I'd phoned the sales guy at Robert Stern and talked to him about it and he said he'd get service to phone me - although they never did (yet have it logged on their computer they'd booked me in and I didn't show!). So time just passed...

Anyway the problem seemed to disappear for a while and only occasionally rear its ugly head, so I didn't take much notice of it. Until the other week; I'd gone little over a mile down the road from home when the fan kicked in sounding as loud and embarrassing as usual (it makes things worse when your friends are in shock over the noise!), I pulled off again and the car started to misfire which worried me no end!
I came home and phoned RS and the service guy phoned me back and we booked it in. Its going to have diagnostics tests and hopefully get it sorted. He noticed I'd mentioned previously about having trouble with 2nd gear and the alarm playing up...and a vibration coming from the rev counter at about 1500rpm!

I'll be glad to get it all sorted, I love my Dooper but its little things like that which get you really disheartened!

·
Registered
557 Posts
and a vibration coming from the rev counter at about 1500rpm!
I get that! I thought it was just me! Every time I tell my GF to listen for the rattle she says she can't hear anything. I'm not going mad! :D

My Cooper D is also going in on the 23rd June and that's one of the things they're going to look at.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get that! I thought it was just me! Every time I tell my GF to listen for the rattle she says she can't hear anything. I'm not going mad! :D
eheh, no you're not going mad:D

The service guy phoned me today and when he reeled off the list I didn't realise it was so much, but then again we pay a lot for these cars and expect our money's worth!

·
Registered
557 Posts
eheh, no you're not going mad:D

The service guy phoned me today and when he reeled off the list I didn't realise it was so much, but then again we pay a lot for these cars and expect our money's worth!
You're telling me... I gave them a list as long as my arm but they (Rochdale Williams) seemed more than happy to help and even found an oil leak which they're sorting under warranty.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're telling me... I gave them a list as long as my arm but they (Rochdale Williams) seemed more than happy to help and even found an oil leak which they're sorting under warranty.
Well that's good then. They do usually try and help the best they can I've found (in my 6 months of MINI ownership) - actually I was surprised when he (Andy @ Robert Stern) phoned me as it had been 6 months since I'd bought it and wanted to see how things were.
The only thing I could pick fault there with is there seems to be breakdown in communication between sales and service:rolleyes:

The list I gave is as long as my arm - fan, rattle, alarm, gearbox and something else I think! How much of it will get done under warranty?

I'm curious now to what car they're going to give me while they have mine. LOL!:D

·
Registered
557 Posts
They'll probably give you a MINI One or a BMW 1 series. Pray it's the MINI lol.

What have they said about the fan? I know a few people on here, like myself, have been really embarassed when it comes on. It seems to have a life of its own... comes on after very short journeys on a cold day etc which makes no real sense.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They'll probably give you a MINI One or a BMW 1 series. Pray it's the MINI lol.
Oooh, I don't like the 1 series, my mom has one and its nowhere near as nice as the MINI:eek:

What have they said about the fan? I know a few people on here, like myself, have been really embarassed when it comes on. It seems to have a life of its own... comes on after very short journeys on a cold day etc which makes no real sense.
Oh I know, mine has never come on if I've done motorway driving or been a bit of a distance really.

The one day when it kicked in I drive straight to Benhams in Wolverhampton (it stopped by the time I got there, typical) but the service guy just fobbed me off and treated me like an idiot. As where when I phoned the sales guy whom I dealt with at Robert Stern he said he hadn't encountered it before and he didn't know much about the Doopers (which was honest of him) so it was best to get it booked in....then the sales/service breakdown in communication started and they never phone me. Although when I spoke to the service reservations guy the other week to book it in he said I was showing on the computer as booking in and never showing!:confused:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I dropped my Dooper off this morning and I hve to say it amazes me how when I popped into Mini to see where I had to go they remembered my name (considering they haven't seen me for 6 months), simple things, simple minds....

The courtesy car I've been given is an 08 Cooper S, which is a really nice car (although I cant get used to driving it!). The interior has piano black trim and colour line, I much prefer my silver and brushed alloy:D

Had to smile when the service guy said "we expect it back with the same amount of fuel in it as we've given you", I started it and it pinged at me! There was nothing in it, LOL!

He did say I'd have a fun few days with the Cooper S but I want my little Dooper back in the best of health;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/paulelwell2/Image102.jpg

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well I got the same Cooper One I had the other day. Nice little car but there's just NO low-down torque. Still, it's better than the 1 series I once got :)

They've apparently sorted every fault other than the rattle from the rev counter so let me know how you get on with yours... maybe if your garage sorts it I can tell Williams what they did :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well with what I went to get sorted; the rattle, the difficult 2nd gear, the alarm and the fan out of all those things I cannot say any of them have been sorted:(

The service guy phoned me not long after I posted my other message and said the rattle wasn't present and 2nd gear will loosen up (they took it for a run), they done a heat test on the alarm and said how someone could have simply brushed passed the car or a cat could have got on it and set it off - all good and well I said but my car has either been parked on our drive or at work on its own when it has gone off!

As for the all important pain-in-the-ass fan......nothing! They tested it and couldn't come up with anything, which is something I really don't understand. Why does the fan only make a nuisance of itself when you're nowhere near a MINI dealership?!

TBH I had more or less given up by the end of the phonecall as I got the feeling he was right and I was wrong, but as long as I have warranty everytime these things rear their ugly heads the dooper will be going back!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'd personally try another dealer in your area and tell the new one that your current one didn't have a clue.

That's what I did anyway and I would never go back to my original dealer now. Williams in Rochdale have been fantastic.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I'm back from Worcester! I don't think the man I spoke to yesterday had much of a clue actually, I spoke to someone else today when I picked mine up and he had the report infront of him.

Anyway, he said the alarm had been sorted and a new sensor has been fitted (said something else about it but forgot what....). The gearbox will loosen up given time - I have only done just over 3,000 miles so see the point there.

As for the fan, they said it is to do with filter particles , which I think is something I read here. The misfiring apparently just part of the process....that bit I don't buy but we'll see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts