MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boris has scrapped the £25 per day fee for higher emission cars and also the exemption for cars emitting less thans 120g/kg. Good or bad?

·
Giggity-goo!
2,670 Posts
Similar thread going in Gen Discussion. I think it is good, because if you have a low emission car and are not paying the higher fee, you will drive into London - causing congestion.

If they called it an emissions charge then that would make sense, but start a whole other debate...

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Right decision in my book, the CooperD causes the same congestion as any other car, so no reason why it should avoid the charge.

Also now means I guess that all thos V8 engined Lexus hybrids will finally have to stump up as well :p

·
Registered
422 Posts
Good news for me, as I was told the Dopper’s Second hand were heading to London although there is a fair few now just sitting there as they were exempt from the congestion charge.

Might mean a few more Dooper’s on the Market, plus the way the whole economy is just now we might see a price drop if they want sales.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lots of people missing the point in my opinon. Yes, it is called a congestion charge, but if it was true to it's name then hybrid / electric cars would not be exempt because they also cause congestion! So, what is it? Congestion reducing? Pollution reducing? It needs to be the latter. Focus needs to be on reducing pollution. So, the tax should encourage purchase of low emission cars. What's worse? Lots of low or zero emission cars on the roads of london or lots of pollution? I think there should be a charge for driving doopers into london but in the region of £4 per day. Most of the money should go on improving trains and buses.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm in agreement that the Dooper should pay congestion charge. The whole point of the congestion charge was to reduce the amount of vehicles going through the specified zones and increase the use in public transport wasn't it?
Then exempting low-emission cars like the dooper etc from it doesn't really make sense, they may reduce pollution but still can cause congestion. Even electric cars should have to pay (if they don't already, I don't know) as they're on the roads.

I sometimes wonder if the people in power think before opening their mouths:p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts