MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

New 2012 Cooper 1.6d owner, 57k miles, and my DPF light just turned on. Took a run down the highway first at high rpm, then at low at roughly 70-90 mph (local speed limits). The light turn off while I'm driving, however the light still turn on every time I turn it on. I've been reading through all the posts I've found here on the topic, however still quite uncertain on what to do. I'm really not technical, however, whatever I can do myself I'll try.

I think one of the issues is that I usually only drive to work with it, which is a really short drive. However I usually take at least 1 longer drive once a month where I crank it up to 80-90 mph.

Does anyone have any tips for me? It's my first car, not really cash loaded...! Anything would be highly appreciated!

· Registered
13,577 Posts
first off you need to have car scanned for any fault codes, as while a code is active in the cars ecu the dpf will not passive regenerate ie 40 minutes at 3400 revs on the road should passive regn it if there are no fault codes stored, most common issues with them is glow plugs fails and everytime you start and run car from cold firstly eads soot, secondly the ecu will never regen ie the filter has pressure sensors before and after and monitors how much back pressure is present and at around 70% it show regen its self but needs a lot of heat and pressure over a time span all in one go, trouble with short start stops thus cuts these down so it never get a correct regen and blocks up, the filter is a saturation type not a flow type like a cat is so blocks easy and needs regens, egr valves are another thing that causes the same as glow plug failures etc, all linked ot it, also more rarely on the n47 diesel ie bmw own engines then timing chains wear around 50-100k depending on how long the car have been driven with a blocked dpf filter as unburnt diesel that cant be burnt off while car try's to regn blows past the piston rings and enters the oil, a sign of this is it appears the car is making oil every tomecheck it or appear to never use any, where the facts are its using oil but replacing it with soot and diesel,,lost count the amount i have seen like this over the years its a lot, first signs can be turbo failures as well,,MUST CHANGE OIL WHEN FORCE A REGEN and do 10k oil changes a must do,
many people have these filters removed and egr valve in my view it saves them best thing for the owner and engine wear etc, just done my vauxhall last week and a mid range map as well flys now no lag and 1/3 of the price to replace the parts ie filter etc and diagnostic reset needed when changing the filter, bonus have already notice better mpg and goes so much better, in my signature can do the ecu work if posted ecu etc, or take car in can either sort it factory or like i said above etc,

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
first off you need to have car scanned for any fault codes, as while a code is active in the cars ecu the dpf will not passive regenerate ie 40 minutes at 3400 revs on the road should passive regn it if there are no fault codes stored, most common issues with them is glow plugs fails and everytime you start and run car from cold firstly eads soot, secondly the ecu will never regen ie the filter has pressure sensors before and after and monitors how much back pressure is present and at around 70% it show regen its self but needs a lot of heat and pressure over a time span all in one go, trouble with short start stops thus cuts these down so it never get a correct regen and blocks up, the filter is a saturation type not a flow type like a cat is so blocks easy and needs regens, egr valves are another thing that causes the same as glow plug failures etc, all linked ot it, also more rarely on the n47 diesel ie bmw own engines then timing chains wear around 50-100k depending on how long the car have been driven with a blocked dpf filter as unburnt diesel that cant be burnt off while car try's to regn blows past the piston rings and enters the oil, a sign of this is it appears the car is making oil every tomecheck it or appear to never use any, where the facts are its using oil but replacing it with soot and diesel,,lost count the amount i have seen like this over the years its a lot, first signs can be turbo failures as well,,MUST CHANGE OIL WHEN FORCE A REGEN and do 10k oil changes a must do,
many people have these filters removed and egr valve in my view it saves them best thing for the owner and engine wear etc, just done my vauxhall last week and a mid range map as well flys now no lag and 1/3 of the price to replace the parts ie filter etc and diagnostic reset needed when changing the filter, bonus have already notice better mpg and goes so much better, in my signature can do the ecu work if posted ecu etc, or take car in can either sort it factory or like i said above etc,
Thank you so much for your input @mike1967 ! Contacted the mini service center next to me now to get my car scanned and diagnosed. Hopefully it won't be too bad..

· Registered
13,577 Posts
i see them all the time with dpf blocked and low mileage ones tend to be a fault stored in the ecu that blocks them from regen, trouble we have found on these cars even after a forced regen they never come back 100% clear until either removed or replaced the filter and fix whats causing it not to regen it self as they are a saturation filter and residue red sand like material builds up, most car makers now put a mileage service replacement span ie 75.000miles on them ie must be replaced at this figure as a service item due to the more they get blocked the less they stop pollutions as such in fact it makes it worse as diesels are compression ignition engine once hot and running its the friction within the air mass when being compressed very high and fuel injected in to it at right time that makes the fuel air burn so needs to breath otherwise they dont burn off correctly,, dpf was a really stupid knee jerk idea caused by EU governments including the UK to deal with pollutants from soots all it ever done on cars with dry filters unlike euro 6 was cause more problems with car running fine for first 3-4 years if that then a lot of car not, also this is damming on mot tests the gas checks on a car with a brand new filter is good same car with 50.000 miles on it would fail until a forced regen of passive regen was done ie passive is drive that car up road over 4000 revs for 30 minutes to clear it,, how much pollution does that cause i wonder, all above would be based on a car used around city's or low rev driving as diesel needs heat and and higher revs to stay clean, and there is athe issue the whole reason of buying a diesel is mpg mainly ie low rev driving, your mini dealers will only evr do a standard job ie new filter etc but at least if you know how it works and some of its main down falls should help for the future, hence why so many people remove them and never have a £1000 bill again for it in the future at worst could be more with turbo failures as well from extra heat and pressure caused from regens

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.