MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, ALL DPSM owners, not sure if there are any out there since there was a problem with them.
I installed mine about 3 years ago and was running fine until recently... it starts with the random crackle, pop, etc... you know what it sounds like.

Problem was that even if you turn off the radio, the power is still going to the amp....

so i plan to put a toggle switch to turn the amp off and thus, reducing the noise...

i understand that all aftermarket amps have remote, + to the battery and - to the grond, but on the DPSM.. doesn't have a remote... so my only choice is to put a toggle switch from the amp to the battery... and control it that way...

anyone has done anything else to work around?

i rather tap into the remote.. but can't find the wiring diagram anywhere on the net... any help from any DPSM owners would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Edit/Delete Message

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
There is a remote on/off to the DPSM from the HU (may be pin 13 from HU but not certain from memory)
So it should not crackle if HU is off.
In the FAQ here on MINI2 under ICE, there is a pinout drawing of the HU.

If you can get behind the panel, there is a fuse module powering the DPSM - you could pull that fuse to permanently silence the bad amp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GB MINI! great help...
Thanks.

I know where the fuse is... cause i installed the DPSM... but i think i will check out the pin 13 first from the HU.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

Maybe we can help each other.

I've had the DPSM in my former R53 CooperS (now owning a R56 CooperS with HIFI amplifier)

The DPSM does have a remote on wire. It is the white wire which is not twited together with any of the other wires. The thin twisted wires (blue and yellow if i remember correctly) are the 4 audio channels from the radio to the amplifier (Left-Right,Front-Rear) and the thick twisted wires are the speakerwires from the amplifier to the speakers. If my memory serves me correctly there's only 1 extra wire which is the white wire from the radio headunit to the amplifier. This is the remote switching wire.

You should think that if the OEM headunit is turned of the amp would be turned of too. This is not the case. The headunit keeps the amp alive to broadcast telephone or navigation announcements, even when it appears the headunit is off. That's why the rumbling noise is still present when you turn the headunit off.

I've had the same problem with the DPSM amplifier (weird noises) and eventually one day i decided to investigate to find the problem (i'm into electronics so gave it a shot).
I opened the DPSM amplifier and after some investigating it turned out that the problem was on a small PCB inside the DPSM which has some amplifiers, potmeters and the surround chip on it. It turned out that the surround chip was the problem. It distorted the audiosignal even if the surround function was not active. By bypassing the surround chip (had never used it, didn't even connect the surround switch) the DPSM performed perfectly again.

If you still have the problem and want to look up how to bypass the surround chip, let me know.

Now for my problem :)

After having sold my car and therefore losing the DPSM :( I later bought a DPSM amplifier for a portable sound system. But i bought just the amplifier and not the connecting cable. The missing cable is not the problem because i don't need it. However, nowhere on the internet there's a pinout diagram of how the amplifier is connected. And to make the amplifier work in my sound system i need that pinout.

I tried to figure it out by measuring but that's very time consuming and i would need to disassemble the entire amp.
i wonder if it's possible for you to take a detailed picture of the connector on the amplifier showing which wires are connected to which pins on the connector. Most important is the position of the remote on wire (the White one) as i can figure the rest out from there.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
DPSM connector pictures

Hi remmie,

Maybe this can help you out?

From the position the amp is mounted to the car, the wires go in at the left. When openend the plug falls apart in two parts, grey on the right and black on the left. The white cable seems to enter at positon 12.

My DPSM also makes all sort of noises, BMW/Mini don´t have a clue. I had noticed (amp is now deconnected) that using the surround switch has an impact, so this might well be the problem in my set as well (all the more since this also started about 1,5 year after installation, before all was perfect).

If you could provide some more information on how you bypassed the surround chip, or know someone who might be able to help, that would be great !

JJ

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
repairing the DPSM

For all others that are interested in repairing the DPSM, here are the pictures of the modification to be made.

The problem with the rumbling noises and the loud pops have to do with the surround chip on the amplifier. I just bypassed the surround chip altogether and have had no problems since.

The surround chip JRC A2018M is located on an extra Circuitboard on top of the main Circuit board. This extra board can be seperated from the main board by pulling it "up" (away from the main board)

What I dit was bypassing the surround chip by desoldering the input and output capacitors of both channels and connecting them together (left input to left output and right input to right output) I just used a piece of wire for it.

The pictures below show the modification on the extra board.
When you reseat the board be very carefull to put the pins exactly on the connectors on the main board.

Also FYI, the turnswitches (marked 0 to F) are volume adjusters.

·
I could stop if I wanted
1,355 Posts
Remmie,

Thanks for that information. I may end up having to do that mod, as I've had my DPSM fail again with the crackle and pops. This time it is out of warranty, and I cannot purchase a new DPSM anymore for some strange reason (don't get me started...)

Depending on how things turn out next week with the dealer, I may need to send you a message as I am not as well versed with electronics as you are.

Dank je wel!

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a dpsm also.

hello remmie,

i have one of these damn things and am attempting (or will be attempting) your bypass/repair.

i have the thing out. have the aux board off, got the caps up but i broke one. i have replacements, both smd and axials. please contact me i would love your expert advice before i proceed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thank you, thank you, thank you.

i want to know if this fix works. how long has it been since you did it? again, thanks, i just want some feed back on this. it would be great to hear from remmie since i broke one of the damn things off but any input is greatly appreciated. i would like to solder the thing up and put my car back together again.

·
I could stop if I wanted
1,355 Posts
It has been about 11 months since I fixed mine (well actually, I paid an electronics shop $40 to do the mod, since they had the right tools and dexterity), and I drive the MINI to work everyday. Other than the fact that the "surround" mode no longer works (the switch in the glove box), it has been like new. I don't even notice the lack of surround mode any more, I just enjoy the music. :)

I think Remmie still visits the board, try sending him a PM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all. I just picked up a GP1 that has this issue. The pictures on the above post for repairing the amplifier are missing. Would anyone happen to have those pictures lying around?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts