MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Just thought I'd pop my head round the door (I've been outside watching for a few weeks :cool: )

I'm the proud owner of a new-to-me Jan '03 black Mini One with ext-chrome line, having recently swapped my Ltd Ed MX-5 for it. Before I got the car, I'd read reviews that the One was a bit sluggish and not at all nippy. I have to disagree! It's not got the outright power that my Mazda had, but it certainly feels quick enough for ordinary driving. It definately turns heads just as the Mazda did too!

Seeing as my insurance has dropped from £700 to £300, I've got some spare cash - so the virtual drinks are on me!

Current observations as a Mini driver:

:blblack: Drunks keep mistaking me for an FX-4 London Taxi cab at night and try flagging me down!
:blblack: Everyone else drives a Cooper - hardly see any Ones around!
:blblack: Keep getting electric shocks off the car after I've driven it (it's evil)
:blblack: Can't get Zoom Zoom Zoom out of my head....

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Well done and welcome! My mum has a Arizona MX-5 in the bright Mica yellow, what Ltd edition did you have? My mum drives me crazy with all her MX-5 comments! Glad to see there is a converted out there. Didn't you find all the "enthusiasts" of the MX-5 are mostly all over 50!? I went to a MX-5 rally a few months ago and they all brought their dogs and thermos flasks!

Welcome to the MINI! I have a ONE and I love it! Drove my MUMs Mazda and I thought my car was a little faster than my mums but thats because its got that Clutch judder thing she keeps going on about!

Good to see there are people swapping their different cars in for the fun of it!

My mini used to give me static shocks until I started to close my mini by the base of the window. No shock through glass!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a Nevada MX-5 - a strange silvery blue/green colour with a blue top and blue leather interior. Nice though it was I had to get rid of it as I'd just been made redundant by the BBC, and needed something a bit more economical and easier on the insurance. Also, it was a bit boring compared with the Mk1 MX-5 (pop-up lights) I had a few years before!

Photos of my actual one... http://www.cardomain.com/id/nevada

On my list of alternative cheaper cars were: Golf, Ibiza, Clio, Beetle, SportKa .... and hadn't thought of a Mini till my dad mentioned them. Thing is, with the exception of the Beetle, the others are more likely to change dramatically in appearance over the next few years. I can't see BMW changing the Mini's design in a hurry! It took them long enough to come up with a proper evolutionary shape for the new Mini as it is!

Just been reading up on getting static shocks from cars, and the general advice is to open the door touching the metal frame while you are still sat in the seat to safely discharge any build up that's occured between your clothing and the seats. I'll have to give that a go!

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
Welcome to MINI ONE land,may you be happy here.I agree about the power.I tried out a cooper on 24 hr test and to be honest there isn't a huge difference(IMO).I've also had a cooper S as a courtesy car and it didn't feel as quick as i was expecting(IMO).I think that once you read the reports you think that the ONE will be really slow,i was pleasantly suprised.Regarding the static shock ,you need to get some different shoes(seriously).I have a particular pair of Addidas trainers that always promote the shocks. There is another thread on here somewhere about this problem and i've experienced it in different cars aswell as my two MINIS.Hope you enjoy your new aquisition,congrats.Did it look anything like my last MINI ONE?also Jan 03.We need piccies

Attachments

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
2013 R55 Bond Street
1,072 Posts
Seeing as my insurance has dropped from £700 to £300, I've got some spare cash - so the virtual drinks are on me!
400 sobs worth of virtual drinks, let me help you get rid of some of that :D

Dont worry about not seeing many ONE's out there, makes you more unique :cool: and as for the static? simple, let the Mrs get out first :D :D

·
Back in a first gen.
1,386 Posts
Hyia & Welcome to the mad world full of MINI's known as MINI2.
I got a MINI One at the same time as my Mom got her Cooper and her's is not that much quicker.
ONE's are unique - welcome to the club (Saying that my new Cooper is being delivered to BMW as we speak).

Oh my god, what are the Devil Ducks on that site? They remind me of my boyf's Mom :D:D:D

(I'll have a virtual pint of virtual cider in a virtual pub where there are virtual MINI's everywhere :))

Helen xxxx

·
MINI...Grrrreat!
132 Posts
Hi there.

I have only been on here a few months and been on a couple of meets.

The people on here are a good sort, and I recommend getting your name down on the MINI2 meet scene ASAP!
Great times had by all on them!

Maybe see you at one soon,

David :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ScoobyDoo said:
Oh my god, what are the Devil Ducks on that site? They remind me of my boyf's Mom :D:D:D
Oh you can get devil duck shower curtains and loo seats. Not got a devil one yet! Got a Union Jack one from Habitat a while ago - that nearly made it into my Min :cool:

Thanks to everyone for the kind welcomes, I'll have to see about joining up for some meets next year when the weathers better.

JoN
:blblack:

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Dead Duck said:
Oh you can get devil duck shower curtains and loo seats. Not got a devil one yet! Got a Union Jack one from Habitat a while ago - that nearly made it into my Min :cool:

Thanks to everyone for the kind welcomes, I'll have to see about joining up for some meets next year when the weathers better.

JoN
:blblack:
When the weathers better???? Mini's love the rain and mud!! My first run was nearly a year ago in a black mini on some what can only be descibed as flooded and muddy roads! Thanks Max!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts