MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have taken my car through a drive-through carwash once. My question is do others do this? I was a bit nervous because of the roof, but the woman at the place said it would be fine. Of course I took off the antenna. What do others think?

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
I personally wouldn't touch a drive through car wash with a barge poll - as there well known for scratching cars & there never clean.

For the price of that i would go to my local hand car wash or do it yourself - at least you know your safe then.

But your car your choice :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually go to a handwash (or do it myself when I can be bothered!). Recently I've noticed that they haven't managed to bring out my alloys as well as they used to (car's only 9 months old) so I was thinking I'd take it back to the drive-through. I guess I'm better safe than sorry - if anything gets scratched/damaged I'd go nuts!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I usually go to a handwash (or do it myself when I can be bothered!). Recently I've noticed that they haven't managed to bring out my alloys as well as they used to (car's only 9 months old) so I was thinking I'd take it back to the drive-through. I guess I'm better safe than sorry - if anything gets scratched/damaged I'd go nuts!
I don't think you have a chance of getting a decent wheel clean in any drive-through (apart from all their other shortcomings).

I spray my wheels with Astonish wheel cleaner and agitate lightly with a brush between the spokes and inside the rims just before using my local pressure wash and they come up like new. (I'm not an obsessive car cleaner but I do give the car a 10 minute rub down with microfibre cloths afterwards, including the door and bonnet reveals.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would say a big NO to drive through car washes they WILL mark your car, Always best to hand wash. As for your wheels have you ever used a wax or sealent on them to help keep them looking their best.

·
Oh good grief!
5,277 Posts
I wouldn't take any car through a car wash, soft or hard top!

I learnt my lesson 7 years ago with our metallic black Fiesta!

After taking it through, i spent the rest of the weekend going over the paint work with Scratch-X to take the swirl marks out! :hmph:

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Car washes are a big no no! :eek:

Much better to wash the car yourself and you know whats happening to it! :p Plus it will come up a lot better :cool:

If you keep it all waxed and polished (I do mine every few weeks) then a wash every weekend is no trouble at all, ive got mine down to a fine art of 40 minutes for its weekly wash :D On waxing/polishing it can be anything up to 5 hours :eek: :p

·
thats better
2,482 Posts
Cabrio and car washed dont mix......

Soaking the roof is not a good idea ;) and the quality is awful

1 - 8 of 8 Posts