MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a bit of reading since I got my 2002 Cooper S & have found three types of supercharger pulley. The 19% reduction for obvious reasons requires an intercooler upgrade but I just wanted to know from a driveability point of view which is best?

Has anyone had experience of each of these?

Cheers

MAFFA

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Depends on how you are driving. If you are at WOT for a long period of time the heat from the 17+ will be hard to deal with. However, if you are only hitting the pedal only a little at a time, many have gone with the 17% (recommend plugs and uprated IC even for 17). However, for stability and still good fun factor the 15% is probably the best as you don't have to do a lot.

Now, if you go with the Alta V2, you can swap the pulley without changing the collar making the swap a lot easier if you do decided to go down to a 17% at a later date.

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
In terms of torque the larger reduction gives higher torque so you get better low/mid range grunt which is what Im after as that is best for realworld driving. However, the higher temp problems with the larger reduction pulley has put me off a 19%...

I too would go with a 15% as it is the best compromise IMO :)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
If you do lots of high revs high speed then 15%, if you rarely go over 70 (eg your law abiding and english) then 17% is ok, if your a every now and then user with fewer motorway miles than most, or are prepared to be careful and watch the temps a little more while motorwaying then a 19% is fine.

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
I have a 17% on mine as I prefer the drivability that the extra torque gives you rather than having to redline it the whole time like in a Civic Type R :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys. Thinking the 15% would be more suited to my needs & the gains v's pains for a 17 or 19 seem to small for my liking.

I'm going to start looking into intercoolers & at the moment i'm edging towards the "bolt on" GRS. I think if I change that & then go for something like the Lohen LCS1 for £500 then this will be a good building block. Would prefer an Alta induction with it though but i'm sure they could sort something out :)

MAFFA

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another question I just thought of. How does this affect your MPG for normal day-to-day driving?

Cheers

MAFFA

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
My MPG actually went up a little. I think that the car ran a little better but that was after the pulley and tune.

As for the IC, GRS s good stuff and will probably be all you need to be honest. :)

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
My MPG actually went up a little. I think that the car ran a little better but that was after the pulley and tune.

As for the IC, GRS s good stuff and will probably be all you need to be honest. :)

I'm hopefully getting mine done in the next couple of months and someone else had mentioned that it helped Mpg!!!:D

·
Registered
544 Posts
Cheers guys. Thinking the 15% would be more suited to my needs & the gains v's pains for a 17 or 19 seem to small for my liking.

I'm going to start looking into intercoolers & at the moment i'm edging towards the "bolt on" GRS. I think if I change that & then go for something like the Lohen LCS1 for £500 then this will be a good building block. Would prefer an Alta induction with it though but i'm sure they could sort something out :)

MAFFA
I've had no pains with a 17% just more torque lower down the rev range ;)

·
Cruising In The Minge
773 Posts
Ive had the JCW pulley and 17, prefer the 17. Crank pulleys are another option, some love em but not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ive had the JCW pulley and 17, prefer the 17. Crank pulleys are another option, some love em but not my cup of tea.
i refuse to sell crank pulleys as they dont have the harmonic damper that the stock one has far less hassle to change to a diff pulley size (alta have a universal hub and you can swap the reduction size, same with helix too i think)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
My fuel use actually got better when i went to a 15% pulley, IC, air box and plugs. Since tuning more it has gone downhill again and I struggle to get 220 miles from a tank if I drive all week on the A and B roads that I know well everyday.... but thats more my driving than the car I recon ;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You know I think I can cope with a small reduction in fuel economy when i've come down from a BMW M5 where my combined MPG was around 17 :D LOL.

I've been looking at alternative intercoolers in the states & came across the X02 intercooler which can be had for $300 delivered. Now things like this always seem to good to be true but i've been reading around on other forums (Impreza, Skyline etc...) & the feedback seems to be all positive.

What are your views? Any tried & tested? I'll do a search on here & see what I can find but for £150 delivered that's a hell of a saving over a £400 GRS intercooler :eek:

Cheers

MAFFA

1 - 20 of 48 Posts