MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good test on Driven tonight. Made up for the "shopping trolley woman" test! All those miles and not a pull or drift to be seen!:p And the windows stayed up!
Good to see it win on the track AND they were impressed with the engine :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
It was a good programme tonight and a welcome return to the screen.

For those interested, the MINI was voted overall best by 1 of the presenters and 2 seemed to plump for the Alfa 146 - very close though.

I think they should have utilised their usual marking system which they seemed to have done away with for tonights programme.

I feel the MINI would have come out on top had they used this system.

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
I think the MINI won the fun-factor vote, but lost out practicality - wise. The Alfa was the 5 door version tho'...
.Have done nearly 700 miles across UK/France in a weekend in a clasic mini, I fitted in 3 passengers, tent, 3 sleeping bags, 2 airbeds, camping gas, gas stove, luggage, 3 pillows, groundsheets, food, and numerous other bits ! The people next to us at the campsite couldn't believe how much we got out of such a small car ! neither could I ! So you can fit in plenty of gear if it ain't boxed !
Will be doing some runs in France in the MINI ! bring it on !!

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Was it me or did he crash the Mini:p

I definitely heard a crunch:eek:

But miraculously the Mini seemed unscathed. Do you think they made a quick call to BMW, asking for a new Mini to finish the test drive?

LMB:D

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
There was definitely a loud cruching noise ! But apparently the car was OK ! Sure ! No doubt Mr Brewer was having so much fun at the wheel he forgot to look where he was going ! Not sure about the Beaujolais Nouveau tho' surely the opera singer woman stocked up on that at Tescos last year ? I reckon he's a MINI man at heart as he appeared at mini in the park in 2000 wearing 'that shirt' !

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
We don't get Driven in Aus - What was in the test line-up with the MINI & 147?

·
Registered
632 Posts
LMB said:
Was it me or did he crash the Mini:p

I definitely heard a crunch:eek:

But miraculously the Mini seemed unscathed. Do you think they made a quick call to BMW, asking for a new Mini to finish the test drive?

LMB:D
It wasn`t you LMB it was Mike Brewer - I think he all but backed over the foot of a Frenchman who was simply going about his everyday business.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wish I'd paid more attention to what was on TV tonight and watched it. Alfa 147.... my sister's new one seems to particularly like it's weekly visits back to the dealer. As for practicality - isn't that what the other half's car is for?!

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
I reckon that a car is as practical as you make it ! My MINI will be force fed the usual camping gear and then some ! if it fits in my mini then it'll fit into a MINI ! besides I'm only interested in tacky souvenirs not plonk !
Seriously tho' the Alfa 147 has more room, but most of that space will be just that space ! better to fill a MINI than to have gaps in a 147 ! Besides the 147 is one weird looking car ! As for rear views it makes the MINI look e-type-esque !

·
Registered
374 Posts
pob - Driven is repeated on Sunday.

·
In exile, down SOUTH!
13,201 Posts
smartbomb (and anyone else interested in going to France),

Please keep an eye on the Meeting and Event section of the forum - a trip to France in June is being planned at the mo. Euro Disney is winning just in case you are interested.

No doubt I shall go to France soon after I take delivery of Apple :D :D :D

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
dckfan,
Nice one ! I hadn't looked at the threads there, not being a MINI owner yet !
Had thought about Disneyland Paris as a possible destination ! I could add that ferrysavers.com are superb for gettiing across ! Planning to go to Brugge again..European city of culture for 2002 oh and meet up with a few French pals sometime ! Phew gonna rack up some miles !
Put me down for a meeting or trip or whatever ! The French mini owners are a top bunch, and a lot friendlier than a LOT of English owners !

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
dcfkan said:
smartbomb (and anyone else interested in going to France),

Please keep an eye on the Meeting and Event section of the forum - a trip to France in June is being planned at the mo. Euro Disney is winning just in case you are interested.

No doubt I shall go to France soon after I take delivery of Apple :D :D :D
I would definitely be up for a trip to Euro Disney. It would be well cool turning up in a convoy of Mini's. :p

LMB:D :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
I hope you enjoy your trip to Paris, if it's in June it's all too close to SSSS time.

Back to the original thread

They said at the start of the program that they were using 3 fun cars under £15K.
I agree that any car bigger than the mini could be more comfy and roomy on a long run and any 2 seater open top sports car is going to be great fun when the sun shines.
But the Mini covers both areas and fits in the middle of the other cars - pretty comfy and definitely fun.
Also, what is the price of the others, the basic Cooper is well under the mentioned £15K.
Does any one know what that flashing light was on the bottom of the screen. It always seemed to show Mini - 1%, MGF - 97% and Alpha - 2%. If it was a phone in then I don't believe it (unless it was to vote off the most unpopular car)

regards

·
Registered
183 Posts
OK ! Come on Admit it.......

Who cheered when the MINI crossed the line first. I did.

Good review though, although it did blow my theory out of the water about women drivers and reversing. Come on Mike, must try harder.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Skewer said:

Does any one know what that flashing light was on the bottom of the screen. It always seemed to show Mini - 1%, MGF - 97% and Alpha - 2%. If it was a phone in then I don't believe it (unless it was to vote off the most unpopular car)

regards
It was the answers to their competition question ("which car is rear wheel drive?"). Good episode of Driven - my mate picks up his 147 tomorrow so we watched with interest!

·
MINIless MINI2 Master
883 Posts
Alfa 147 versus MINI Cooper

I only saw the second half of Driven last night, and being an Alfa 147 (1.6, 3 door) owner myself this test was particularly interesting. I have considered the MGF in the past but the build quality of early models seemed to be shockingly bad - even the Rover 25 was subjectively better built (though the MGF has probably improved since then!) and I haven't driven an MGF so cannot comment on its handling.

From my experience the Alfa 147 1.6 is a good car but is subjectively duller to drive in terms of both acceleration and handling compared with the Cooper but more practical if you have loads of luggage. The standard Cooper (Pepper pack) handling seems so much more direct compared with the standard suspension Alfa and when the engine is run in properly the Cooper feels far livelier than the 147 (1.6), so in driving terms the Cooper wins. On paper the 147 1.6 is halfway between the One and the Cooper in terms of performance, though as mentioned before a well run-in Cooper feels much livelier. I would certainly have ordered a MINI instead of the 147 if it had been available a year ago, and I had to change my car at that particular time - I knew the MINI was coming in six months but couldn't wait any longer for a car anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For our overseas friends who don't get channel 4:-

www.4car.co.uk

·
Registered
44 Posts
rascal said:

It was the answers to their competition question ("which car is rear wheel drive?"). Good episode of Driven - my mate picks up his 147 tomorrow so we watched with interest!
Rascal
Thanks for that
:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts