MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i went to the dealer and tested a mini. it was very peppy, with some great thrust. i used to own an MCS so i was keeping a close eye on the difference. and it was minimal (except for the beautiful supercharger noise). so i picked up a mini they had on the lot. fully loaded pepper white/ black top. striking. i'm surprised its not a more common combo, i get twice as many compliments as my dark silver MCS. anyway it is much more sluggish than the dealers car. very noticable. i have like 600 miles on it and the dealers has like 300. so then i thought about what ive heard people say on these forums. if you break it in harder it will drive alot faster. and we all know the dealer testers are thrashed from the beginning. i even went back and retested the dealers car a few days ago and it is almost twice as fast as mine. so i've been really laying into my car during breakin. i still don't go over 4000 RPM but i shift at 3500-4000 and get it up there rather quick. and even after a few days of that i noticed it has become alittle faster off the line with abit more power. am i imagining this or is this real. anybody else witness this and are there any bad effects from not BABYING my mini.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I noticed the same thing I had a 02' and I broke it in gentle, I traded it in for an 03' and i was just a little more stern with it and it feels alot faster....then i put on a pulley...WHOA MAMA :)

·
1st MINI Owner in QLD !!!
2,467 Posts
I flogged mine and it went faster than another Cooper that I drove. plus it was reliable

·
Registered
49 Posts
There could be some truth in this. My wife once owned a Suzuki 125cc bike from new and we had numerous problems with it the mechanics suggested we should thrash it a bit more so we did well it seemed to run better after that. I know that an aircooled bike engine is different to a car engine but the same rules could apply. Some people use the method of taking it easy for about 500 miles then slowly upping your rev limit by 500 every 100 miles I tried this with my MX5 and it ran very well after that :D .

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i guess i'm not thrashing it, just shifting at 3500- 4000 RPMs from 1 through 5 gear. but i'm not just coasting up to that point. i give it some strong juice. no flooring it but like 3/4 throttle. and guess what. it already seems to be pulling harder and alot more peppy than it was. i am still sticking to the manufactures break in ( no flooring, not alot of highway, and under 4500 RPM). i'm just working it harder while still staying within the break in rules. sounds ok and safe to me. and i feel i will have a fast little car when all is done.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Max said:
It is correct that the faster you drive your MINI, the faster it will become. This is because the ecu has a "memory effect" which adjusts the engine settings to your style of driving.

Right then, solid proof NOT to let the misses drive me MINI. ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
flav said:
i guess i'm not thrashing it, just shifting at 3500- 4000 RPMs from 1 through 5 gear. but i'm not just coasting up to that point. i give it some strong juice. no flooring it but like 3/4 throttle. and guess what. it already seems to be pulling harder and alot more peppy than it was. i am still sticking to the manufactures break in ( no flooring, not alot of highway, and under 4500 RPM). i'm just working it harder while still staying within the break in rules. sounds ok and safe to me. and i feel i will have a fast little car when all is done.
I like that plan. I plan to use ~2/3 throttle for acceleration once the car is warmed up and limit to 4500rpm. Also, it's a good idea to downshift to use engine braking to slow down during break-in.

Rawhyde

·
Overboosting.....
3,392 Posts
I ran mine in until about 800 miles. After that I got a bit bored used the full rev range :rolleyes: :D

There doesn't seem to be any damage done so far :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts