MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any GB mini owner know whether you can change the lights for driving in france, or do you need the stupid stickers. BMW's have a switch on the lights, which you just turn.

:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm not sure on the legalities, but I do remember from the recent Driven programme (Alfa, MINI and MG all going to S of F), that one or both of the other cars had some black stickies. The MINI definitely had none.

Talking of France, are there any French members?

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I've read somewhere in the manual or other documents you get with the car that if you contact your MINI dealer they can provide you with special stickers for the lights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
you're right, i'm from France.

But I don't know how to swap the lights for driving in france. I remember my MGF had some places to put the black masks on the lights. and I've seen some english F's with those things. Living in the north of France I often see english cars but not any MINI yet.

By the way the french forums are nothing compare to this one, don't waste your time, I will give you interesting info if I find some.

Waiting a BRG/White Cooper for march with a Mint pack (don't know if you've got that in england).

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
I have taken my mini to France 3 times, and I bought a set of stick on thingies to adapt the headlights. However a quick scan around the car park at Citie L'Europe (horrid place) suggests that anyone form the UK doesn't bother with these things. Even away from Calais no Brits have them ! So do as they do and forget 'em ! At the port they ahev signs about what French law says you must carry, but I should think at least 90% of motorists have none of it !

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Yeah I've been over a couple of times in my MINI and haven't bothered with the light bender things.

If you were planning on staying over there for a while, I would get some but for a weekend or daytrips I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I used to think CrashAndBurn had the best avatar, but now that I've seen MINI frog's I think he (or she?) has the best.

I have been checking out a German MINI forum, da ich auch Deutsch verstehe, but they don't have much activity either. I was looking for information on pulling left (or right!), but no entries. One guy who posted a question about electrical malfunctions was directed to this forum to get more information.

Anyway, what is the French requirement? Something that some kind of sticker can temporarily fix? I was in France in 1994 for an all-too-short vacation and I didn't notice anything different, but I really wasn't focusing on car headlights.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Clutch Cargo said:
...Anyway, what is the French requirement? Something that some kind of sticker can temporarily fix? I was in France in 1994 for an all-too-short vacation and I didn't notice anything different, but I really wasn't focusing on car headlights.
It has to do with RHD cars (with their RHD headlight patterns) being used when visiting LHD countries such as France. There are different temporary solutions (such as things that stick on to the headlight lens) used to block out part of the beam or redirect the light to prevent blinding oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Quoi?

MINI frog said:
Waiting a BRG/White Cooper for march with a Mint pack (don't know if you've got that in england).
Mint pack?? C'est quoi? Sounds more like an option for a VW (geddit?).

·
Registered
13 Posts
thank you for my avatar, by the way i'm a "he".

The Cooper will be a second car for my wife and my 13 month old boy. I hope I'll get it for march the 13th.

But the reason I've bought this car is of course to enjoy riding the week-end in a funny car. I had to sell the MGF because I felt the luggage stand on the boot was not the right place for one baby to come. I enjoyed an Audi A3 Turbo first but it was not so funny and maybe too fast for saving points on my driving licence (cannot pull my right foot off the ground). The Golf TDI 110 with its 5 doors was then doing the job but with no fun (what a boring car)!. So I was thinking of a 206 cc for the fun, bad luck for Peugeot I tryied the Cooper and signed for it at once. (made me remember my 83 golf Gti left for dead in a tree).

Anyway the only british car I see with black masks on the lights are Vauxhal escaped from the 80's with old men in or car staying for a while. When I cross the Channel I don't bother with that (may be that's why I get clamped so much in London).

For the Mint pack it's a new pack of option in France that give you the half leather seats, the 16" weels with run flat technology, the traction control, the Boost CD, the automatic night/day mirror and do not remember what else for less than £1000. That gives the Cooper for about £12000.

The left pull is known in France and Germany for...
... left pull also, but I don't think it's doing such a mess in the french forums except for the one that read your forum. By the way I'll tell you in march about it !

Cheers

·
Registered
334 Posts
Apologies for re-opening this thread, but since I'm likely to be taking my MINI to Europe for about six weeks, I thought this was as good a place as any to ask:

Does anybody know if the Mini Emergency cover is valid in Europe? I have a vague (very vague) recollection that my dealer said that it was (through the European BMW network)but that was along time ago and I'd just got the keys, so wasn't paying too much attention to that bit...

kjs

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yes it is valid including onward travel cover, hotel cover and certain storage and repatriation costs. Not bad for free.

·
Registered
105 Posts
On new BMW's, if you're travelling abroad you can go to your local dealer, and they can adjust the lights to suit driving on the right (there's a switch that adjusts them easily). If you don't fancy that, then you can get the blackout strips, but if you're only over there for a very short stay (weekend/booz run) and will not be using the car after dark, then you can do without, but if you drive during the night, then have them put on. Otherwise you'll blind the cars coming towards you. (even without main beam)
Plus don't forget spare bulb kits, warning triangle, first aid kits etc, which are apparently compulsory pieces of kit over there (according to the gumpf you get with the AA and BMW's own Euro travel packs)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for all the answers - anybody fancy a meet in Denmark in April?

AER - i think I'll get the dealer to switch the lights

kjs

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
AER said:
On new BMW's, if you're travelling abroad you can go to your local dealer, and they can adjust the lights to suit driving on the right (there's a switch that adjusts them easily). If you don't fancy that, then you can get the blackout strips, but if you're only over there for a very short stay (weekend/booz run) and will not be using the car after dark, then you can do without, but if you drive during the night, then have them put on. Otherwise you'll blind the cars coming towards you. (even without main beam)
Plus don't forget spare bulb kits, warning triangle, first aid kits etc, which are apparently compulsory pieces of kit over there (according to the gumpf you get with the AA and BMW's own Euro travel packs)
I've not read all the posts properly so I apologise If i repeat something someone's said or tred on someones toes.

About the switch for driving abroad, your half right. It is omnly for Xenon lights :( If you have a BMW with the Xenon's you don't need those crappy stickers all you do is pop the lid, look at where if you had normal lights there'd be the thing to take the bulb out and there's a switch, Turn it on both sets of lights and hey presto its done. i don't know why you need a dealer to do this. Although I've heard stories of some people needing the dealer to add the watewr for the windscreen washer so you never know.

Anyway from this, I would presume that the Mini would be the same, if your lucky enough to afford the Xenon's (which I want but don't think I'll get) then all you do is pop the lid and move the switch. If you dohn't you'll need those naffy stickers :(

·
Registered
334 Posts
a thickening plot.... unfortunately xenons weren't available for October build cars. best ring the dealer me thinks

kjs

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
MMMMM Mini and BMW in Xenon Light plot.....

....its a mini conspiricy...sorry adventure!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A further development has occured since I started the thread. Both the sales guy and service guy checked out the lights, but there is no switch on them. Looks like it will be stickers after all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts