MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fly it like you stole it!
95 Posts
Well I have never installed them, but it seems like it would be an idiot proof thing to do. I would guess anyone with at least 3% mechanical abilities could do it. Install the mounts, tap into the right high beam wires, and waaa laaaa......right?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Choprpilot76 said:
Well I have never installed them, but it seems like it would be an idiot proof thing to do. I would guess anyone with at least 3% mechanical abilities could do it. Install the mounts, tap into the right high beam wires, and waaa laaaa......right?
Right, if you want to give your dealership an open door to void the warranty coverage on any electical problem that you might have in the future. If you're going to install the lights, you really need to at least fit the OEM wiring. It's a bit more difficult, but nothing a semi-mechanical person can't do.

·
Registered
700 Posts
My dealer charges $650 to install the driving lamps! ARGHHH!

You need some basic mechanical skills to install auxillary lamps. I would not suggest such a project to someone with minimal mechanical skill. Wiring the loom into the high beam switch (which must be done), fishing the wires under the dash and through the engine bay, and installing relays on both lamp circuits (also must be done unless you want to take a chance on frying your wiring = no warranty coverage) isn't the easiest project I've seen.

I've installed them on other cars, with relays, it takes a little know-how.

If you can work on cars a bit, do it yourself. There's plenty of info on the web about this, but again, it's not a project for the uninitiated.

My 2c worth, I hope it's helpful.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Considering most dealers charge around $100/hr. labor, $400 sounds just a little high and $650's a real screw job! :mad: It took me about 4 hours figuring it out when I did it originally. I imagine the second time would go a bit faster as I learned a lot of tricks the first time around.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Crown MINI of Richmond lists $650, total, to install driving lamps on the '05 MINI. I also ordered the gauge package, which they listed at $400. When I whined loudly about the prices, so they threw in the gauge package "free" of charge (while charging me $650 for the lamps!).

2.5 hours sounds about right for a skilled mechanic to install the driving lamps, the lamps probably cost the dealer no more than about $150 or so.

Yep, highway robbery, rip-off, etc.

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
So your saying if i drive all the way to Spain i can have them fitted cheap.....only trouble is i'd have to fill up with petrol over here to do the journey and it costs about a million pounds a gallon ...oh well

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
Fitting the lights is dead easy.....provided you have the OEM fitting guide!

Took me 3 hrs (professional engineer), and that included working out how the bits of interior trim came off!

I know the wiring procedure is slightly different between the UK & US, but £300 for fitting is way too much......

Bought my lights new off ebay for £107 all in (local pick up too), 3 hrs of my time on a sunny Sunday afternoon, and £32 to activate the programming, so £139 all in (er that's $243!)

Looks like I got a BARGAIN!

Robert

·
1963 Mini -- 2004 MINI
51 Posts
The first thing I did

was to remove the OEM lamps from my 04 MC40 (too small and just didn't look "right"). I installed the Minisport 4 lamp bar. I know - I know - the wags will say " it'll void yer warranty if you ever have overheating problems". But the dealer will have to prove that with wind tunnel tests. :D At least we have some sensible laws here in the good 'ol US of A - the dealer cannot issue a blanket statement like "fitting aftermarket lamps larger than the OEM units will block the grille and so void your warranty". :) Well that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. ;)
To avoid any electrical warranty problems I tapped into the battery terminal under the hood, ran through a 30 amp fuse and a relay (mounted right next to the decal that says "fitting any electrical devices not approved by MINI will ........ :D ) to the spots. The original wiring to the OEM lamps was used to trigger the relay (much less current draw than the OEM lamps).
Alan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.