MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might sound like a dumb question, but why would you need these? Personally I think they just make the frog of the car a bit ugly (personal opinion) why not just get the Xenon Lights, those are as bright as anyone would need.

Howard

·
2003 PS MCS
137 Posts
howardpm said:
This might sound like a dumb question, but why would you need these? Personally I think they just make the frog of the car a bit ugly (personal opinion) why not just get the Xenon Lights, those are as bright as anyone would need.
Howard
Well, there are several reasons. Most people I think do it because they like the look. I'm one of those people and when I get my Mini soon, I'll definately be adding them to it.

Also, the Mini's high-beams are halogen, even if you have the xenons, and the driving lights typically come on with the high beams giving you a bit extra light.

But it's all personal taste. If you don't like'em, don't get 'em :) That's one thing that makes the Mini so cool, all the different ways to make yours "your own" :)

Cheers.

J\

·
sm1les
37 Posts
Extra driving lights

I Like them on my Cooper because most of the original MINI Coopers had them, but i also have xeons and the spotlights, this comb is great for the dark britsh road :D :D
Its personnal pref. But I am having them on my new MCSC, I also think that if you have bonnet stripes, it just finishes the look of the car off. :cool:

Miles
_____________________________________________________________________________________
March 2005 MC SC - Hyper Blue, Chili Pack, Dark Blue Roof, Dark Blue Gravity leather, Heated Seats, H/K Speakers, Sat Nav, MSW, DSC, Elc Fold Mirrors, heated Washer jets, Vis pack, CD, Radio Boost, Bonnet stripes, Bullet wheels, Spot lights, First aid and triangle, Pass airbag deactivation,TLC, Wind deflector and JCW Kit :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
700 Posts
I installed driving lamps on all my sports cars because they're functional and look good.

Many classic British sports cars featured driving and/or fog lamps, so maybe it's a throwback to the classic Brit car look.

·
aaaaaalright
103 Posts
actually the brightest lights are the yellow halogen, lights up the road better than xenon. the xenons take care of the road, the high beams do al little bit higher, and the yellow halogens in the driving lights light up everything from the road to the tree tops. Are they neccessary? no, but are they awesome, and make the car unique? hell yeah

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yeah, I have two of them fitted as well.

Do you know the manufacturer of these factory lamps? It's inevitable that a lens will get whacked by a rock sooner or later.

·
Registered
884 Posts
>>>Do you know the manufacturer of these factory lamps? It's inevitable that a lens will get whacked by a rock sooner or later.<<<

The lights are made by a company called Jute. Last I read there is no replacement lenses made. You catch a rock it's new light time. :(

>>>This might sound like a dumb question, but why would you need these?<<<

Go driving out in the country with someone who has a good set of driving lights and you'll never ask this question again. ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
moorlockx said:
>>>Do you know the manufacturer of these factory lamps? It's inevitable that a lens will get whacked by a rock sooner or later.<<<

The lights are made by a company called Jute. Last I read there is no replacement lenses made. You catch a rock it's new light time. :(
Well that's not good. Does anyone make covers for the daytime?

Mark

·
kgouin
481 Posts
The driving lights are very useful when driving dark, wooded roads. I have them because I work nights and my whole ride is dark and wooded and there are no streetlights and I think they look nice.

·
Registered
884 Posts
>>>Well that's not good. Does anyone make covers for the daytime?<<<

I believe MINI actually offers some. If you search the web you should be able to come up with a set of "soft" covers (padded vinyl, similar to a spare tire cover)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks, moorlockx. It's bad enough that I've never owned a car where I didn't have to replace the windshield at least once, I'd hate to have to replace the driving lights frequently, too. I'll check it out.

Mark

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hey MarkS, my MINI driving lamps came with black plastic covers. It's very durable, thick plastic that fits the lamps perfectly, and has "MINI" in raised black letters on front.

BTW, these lamps appear to be a standard size, I'll bet that lenses may not be too hard to find if they get broken.

If anyone has info on replacement lenses, please post!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Truthfully, if something happens to one of your OEM lights, I'd recommend going out and buying a decent aftermarket set to replace them. There are plenty of manufacturers out there (PIAA, Hella, Cibie, Marchal to name a few top ones) that make better quality lights for what you'd pay for an OEM replacement. It's just a matter of replacing the lamps as the wiring will work for any of them.

Another note on the covers that most people don't think about. Not only do they prevent the lens from getting broken, they also prevent the lens from getting sandblasted. Aside from rocks and hammers, lens pitting is a lights worst enemy. If you spend the money on a quality set of lights you'll want to keep them as long as you can. An example are the Cibie's on my car. They're over 25 years old and this is the 4th car they've been on. To me, that represents some pretty good return on my original investment. If I hadn't religously used the covers they would have had to have been retired long ago.

·
Registered
201 Posts
vagt6 said:
Hey MarkS, my MINI driving lamps came with black plastic covers. It's very durable, thick plastic that fits the lamps perfectly, and has "MINI" in raised black letters on front.

BTW, these lamps appear to be a standard size, I'll bet that lenses may not be too hard to find if they get broken.

If anyone has info on replacement lenses, please post!
Thanks for the info, vagt6! That'll be great if mine comes with them. If not, I'll ask my dealer.

Mark

·
Hangin at the Krusty Krab
844 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures of the internat mounting of a second set of OEM driving lights? Just curious......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts