MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Member of Stealth Club
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to sell my Cooper S, but I was on my way back from Cardiff the other day, and had the back seats down after transporting a large box....

All Cooper S drivers HAVE to try this! The noise from the exhaust is much better :D

I couldn't resist 6k revs in 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th!! (when i got on to a private road, of course!)

Kaz :eb:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Sounds even better with them out completely! Done this twice - once when fitting the rear speakers so no interior at all...VERY loud; and on the last track day to save some weight for a laugh. you wouldnt believe how heavy the seat backs are!

·
Registered
102 Posts
yes, I loved the sound, I got quite an improvement by removing the rear shelf. I left it out, and it's better, not as good as with folded down seats. But at least I can kind of carry people in the back while still sounding a bit sportier :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
yes, very normal. even more normal on the 05's than previous models. that's one of the best parts about the MCS i think...the wonderful sounds

·
Registered
30 Posts
oh yes very normal, this is one of the most addicting things about the cooper s and especially about the cooper s works. I have grown to love it and it is addicting. :D The power steering whine is also normal too. (and sometimes addicting). :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
by the way-what is the easiest way to remove the back seats? (temporarily)

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
You should try it with no roof aka the MCS Convertible. It sounds even better!

·
the DASH LIGHT king ? ;)
485 Posts
pop pop bang pop bang pop :D

i went in mad brummies the other month and he had his seat down...i thawt he were mad...but now i got my MCS i can see y its so addictive...and sound fantastic !

·
Registered
864 Posts
It doesn't take long to remove them and is a fairly simple job. You are able to remove all back seats, top and bottom and rear shelf in about 10 to 15mins so it can pretty much be a temporary thing most of the time even when removing them all. There is just a single bolt between the two rear seats. Fold the rear seats down, unscrew the bolt in the centre using the boot as access, lift up the catch and then pull the seats back so that the notches that hold them in line up and then just pull out gently with a sideways and then upwards motion. Do the same to the other side. The bottom of the seats can just be pulled upwards and out by grabing the front lip when the inside of your passenger's knees usually touch. Should come out with ease. All done, parcel shelf, rear seats (top and bottom, left and right) are out. This saves quite a bit of weight and as people have said the exhaust sound is more noticable.
If anyone doesn't feel confident doing this yourself and your serious about saving weight just pay us a visit in Staffordshire and we'll be able to do this for you and show you how for future reference.
Any questions you can contact me at [email protected]

Cheers,
[email protected]

·
fun fun fun!
206 Posts
alopukhin said:
I just got mine this past Saturday - is the "gurgling/popping" sound when releasing the gas normal?
I might be wrong, but id jsut like to give what i know. When we test drove a S but it was a convertiable we heard a poping sound when ever releaseing the gas or even switching the gears, so we inquired with our MA. She said that it was an Cold Air intake added on.. i wantsnt sure about what she said but i was quite sure she was correct because most of the cars the dealer had were modified in some way. So Cold Air intake is a modification.. but.. i am not sure..

can someone show a picture of the seats taken out please... just wondering what that looks like

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
jonnyyellow said:
I might be wrong, but id jsut like to give what i know. When we test drove a S but it was a convertiable we heard a poping sound when ever releaseing the gas or even switching the gears, so we inquired with our MA. She said that it was an Cold Air intake added on.. i wantsnt sure about what she said but i was quite sure she was correct because most of the cars the dealer had were modified in some way. So Cold Air intake is a modification.. but.. i am not sure..
A cold air intake (for example the one shown here: http://www.mini2.com/reviews/review8.html) really wont have much affect on the gurgling and popping of the exhaust. As everyone above has said, the S does this already, fitting an aftermarket exhaust can amplify or even change the way it pops and gurgles. The main audible change with the cold air intake is the increased volume of the supercharger whine.

:)

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
A cold air intake (for example the one shown here: http://www.mini2.com/reviews/review8.html) really wont have much affect on the gurgling and popping of the exhaust. As everyone above has said, the S does this already, fitting an aftermarket exhaust can amplify or even change the way it pops and gurgles. The main audible change with the cold air intake is the increased volume of the supercharger whine.

:)

Like with a Playmini system, hey Paul... ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
You ought to hear the Magnaflow with the seats down :cool:

·
mini.sg
34 Posts
mcswrks said:
oh yes very normal, this is one of the most addicting things about the cooper s and especially about the cooper s works. I have grown to love it and it is addicting. :D The power steering whine is also normal too. (and sometimes addicting). :D
The power steering whine is normal??
I found it really annoying, and even tried to get my dealer to remedy it. :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
On our EB 'S' (build date 03/03) the power steering whine began around 10K miles.
Dealer replaced steering rack for free under warrantee, no more whine...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts