MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2009 MINI Cooper S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting here at work doing some research on a potential client who specializes in dry ice blasting, and it got me thinking about how this might be a bit easier to perform than walnut blasting for the removal of carbon build-up in a direct injection-only internal combustion engine, as there would essentially be no clean up of the blast material (as the dry ice merely evaporates). I do understand that if it worked you would likely still have to remove the loosened carbon deposits, but still, that sounds MUCH easier than having to clean-up the walnut shells. I have no idea how well dry ice blasting works as compared to walnut blasting, but from the little knowledge I've gained so far, it seems like it might be a reasonable alternative. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2006 MCS Manual 6 speed
4 Posts
This is absolutely a possibility, and people have done it before! It's a non-abrasive method so I don't see any issues with it at all. I've also seen people clean their whole engine bay by dry ice blasting, however, I personally would rather clean it by hand. As far as you question about cleaning up the carbon after it's been blasted, I would guess that most of it would just sorta find it's way out as your blasting the intake (I could be very wrong here though).

I would say it's actually better to do it this way because there's no chance of accidentally leaving abrasive residue in the intake/cylinder.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts