MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Ive had a DSC failure codes up on my 63 plate R56 Mini Cooper D, following the traction control, tyre and abs lights showing up.
Initially the brakes kept coming on and off under their own duress (whilst in lane 3 on the motorway, which was a nice feeling… not!)
This has now been resolved with the replacement of ABS sensors and cable by my mechanic, but traction light and tyre pressure lights still come up, they will turn off, but at some point, they do come back on.

Ive had a quote from Mini for a DSC unit replacement for £2700+ which gives a 12 month guarantee but only for the part, which is £1500, the part itself is known to have this inherent fault, so could end up only lasting a month and then go again, but Id only get the part replaced. :-(

Ive been in contact with a fabulous mini garage locally, who have said they can replace with a used part which has a 3 month warranty, but would still need reprogramming, which they say only Mini can do so would have the part cost, their labour cost, £300 mini reprogramming cost, to again, potentially have it fail again….

Ive seen some posts where very mechanically minded people say that its possible to take out the computer element of my DSC and swap it with that of a used DSC to avoid reprogramming but I have no idea where to even start?
Ive also seen companies which will rebuild my cars DSC unit?

Has anyone used any of these solutions to get any kind of resolution that doesn't costs £1000s?
I simply cannot afford to pay £2700 for a solution that only gives me half a warranty or £1000 for one that only gives me 3 months for the part alone... and Im guessing px would mean Id get a pittance for mine with this fault?
Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
would firstly make sure it is the ecu abs pump at fault, BBA REMEN in the uk can repair the pump or ecu and rewrite the codes for it, needs to be scanned and see what codes flag up,, i have seen people get no fault codes and could not communicate with said abs ecu and replace the ecu to find still have same issue,,, then after a few hours of picking at it Ii find a broken wire or a hidden fuse somewhere,,, not all garages have the gear to find some of these faults or the knowhow,, i promise you its a mine field worth getting a automotive electrical engineer who can clone ecu's is best,,, ie like bba remen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike, would this be the same type of thing that ECU testing have said they'll do? They test to check its faulty, repair if it is and send back for a small -ish fee if its not?

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
yes they do they tend to have a plug in test bed on their work bench that simulates the cars electronics on that level ie so everything out side the ecu is known to work, , or if dont have such a thing made up then all done with a scope and multimeter etc,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes they do they tend to have a plug in test bed on their work bench that simulates the cars electronics on that level ie so everything out side the ecu is known to work, , or if dont have such a thing made up then all done with a scope and multimeter etc,
Great, thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts