MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone-

As this is my first post, I want to say you guys rock! Everyone here is both knowledgeable and collegial, which are rare traits on most message boards. I guess it's just further proof that Mini owners are a cut above.

Anyway, I will soon be ordering my very first Mini - a black/black JCW MCS. In the interest of both cost and weight, I am limiting my options to front and rear foglights and very few interior toys. The only dilemma left in the air is whether to get DSC or the new LSD. I've read the forums and know the merits/shortcomings of each, but I still can't decide which to get. I'm only allowing myself to get one.

So, if you were buying a JCW MCS, and were planning on using it mostly for spirited street driving and perhaps a bit of autocrossing (but its primary use will be as a daily driver), which would you choose and why?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
LSD. The DSC will help you control the car should you get into trouble but with front
wheel drive thats pretty difficult to do. LSD will give you additional traction which is
great fun and we buy Minis for fun :D. If you live in an area that has lots of snow then
don't buy either but get a set of winter wheels and tyres. Personally I'd rather potter
about in the snow because it's so rare now in the UK and have fun with the LSD for
the rest of the year .

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would also advise getting both. I am an avid autocrosser and never run an autocross with my DSC turned on, it certainly slows you down. Having said that, I always drive on the street with DSC on. Here's my reason: I have done a couple of "track days" and discovered early-on that the DSC saved my a** when I made a mistake under high speed conditions. As I learned the track I gradually became more confident and then graduated to running with the DSC off. Like on the autocross course, you can also go considerably faster on the track without the DSC. Now here is my analysis, street driving is about the same as driving on an unfamiliar track and a good deal of that driving is well above autocross speeds, I would rather have the DSC save my a** should I have to make a highspeed maneuver during street driving. I am not driving competitively on the street and feel that the safety factor provided by my DSC is worthwhile having because of my experiences on the track.

Why do I think you should get the LSD? The JCW power will not ever get to the ground efficiently without it. Also, you are planning to do some autocross and that activity will be much more fun with a LSD. The combination of higher JCW horsepower and the lower gearing in the 2005 transmission will make it VERY difficult to accelerate quickly from a standing start without a lot of wheelspin, that wheelspin actually slows down your acceleration. The LSD will act to prevent some of the wheelspin, notice I said some, not all.

Hope this helps,

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Welcome to MINI2!

Its easy enough to get yourself in trouble with a front wheel drive car in bad weather, or when something else goes wrong. Even though its easier to control a front wheel drive car, its good insurance to plan for the worst.

DSC may save your butt once, (and many, many, many people on here have had that happen) because it will prevent you from skidding off the road or doing anything else bad.

LSD will prevent your wheels from spinning when you're racing in an autocross or on a track - the rest of the time, it probably won't do much. And as traction control is standard anyway, that will prevent wheel slippage when starting on ice or bad weather.

If you plan on racing your car - get an LSD.

If you don't - get DSC, and then if you have extra money to spend, maybe the LSD, for those days when you're really pushing it, but honestly, you don't have wheelspin when street driving unless you're probably doing something you shouldn't be doing on a street.

Buy every safety feature you can, and try to never use them.

·
Mr Buttons!
837 Posts
It all depends on what you want, and of how good a driver you are. LSD will kick up the fun factor by offering much better traction out of corners. Also, any further power modification will be useless unless you have an LSD. DSC on the other hand can save your life. Even race car drivers can't predict and avoid certain situations that arise on the street. It might hinder performance(you can always turn it off), but it is a feature that I couldn't live without. Having said that, I would strongly recommend both, but if it really came down to one or the other, get DSC, as your life is more important than a little more fun. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think you've convinced me to get both! I didn't want to spend $1000 on traction improving systems, but maybe it's a worthy investment. I'm dying to get my Mini :D

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Article_3_Underling said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think you've convinced me to get both! I didn't want to spend $1000 on traction improving systems, but maybe it's a worthy investment. I'm dying to get my Mini :D
I think that getting both is the right way to go...can't imagine ordering an S (especially a JCW) without the LSD...and would not want to lose the DSC.

This is...I believe...money well spent.

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
ChrisBuer said:
Is it possible to have LSD retro fitted to a 2003 car?
Not the factory LSD but there are aftermarket units available. The two most popular are Quaiffe and Phantom Grip. Either of these will fit any 6-speed '02 - '04 MCS. I think there is also an LSD available for the MINI Cooper 5-speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts