MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently owner of a Mini Countryman S F60 (2020). This car comes stock with a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission. About a month ago I was driving the car when all of the sudden a notification pop's up on the car saying "Drivetrain malfunction". It went a little bit slower until I got to my destination. Driving back home, the notification was still up. About 10 minutes of driving passed and a weird sound started coming from below the car, like metal or something hard rubbing plastic. I decided to take it to Mini Cooper and BMW certified service center. Once I left the car (which I took in a tow truck because I was afraid of driving it and damaging it more), a week passed and they told me the transmission broke. They also told me that the damage looks like if it was a "human-caused" damaged, meaning they can't cover the fix with the warranty, making a cotization for the fix of $22,000 dollars. Yes... you read that right. They also told me that one of the reasons that could have caused the damage is the rough changing of gears. Like for example changing from 5th gear to 2nd gear, which is completely impossible in an AUTOMATIC transmission, the computer would never let me jump to gears like that without slowing down. My car only has a downpipe and intake, the transmission has NEVER been touched. If somebody could tell me a few or any reason of why the transmission could have broke, please let me know, anything would help.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
trouble you will have is for warranty claims the car must be standard or they will put it down to owner abuse, they also will have the argument if go to court that by adding intake and running different down pipe could increase power and that increase could put more stress on the gearbox ,(i'm not saying it does or not just saying how they will avoid the warranty claim) its same as in the uk and its all car makers , mate of mine has got a audi RS6 under a year old he had it mapped and had the DSG gearbox mapped as well so improved it made gear changes smooth even when got foot flat to floor, he had a fault with the car they scanned the car and flagged up it had ecu connected to and read and write files , they have now entered the car ion to their system and warranty void,
if were me i would out car back to stock then take to different mini garage and if they say its on their system as having such items argue the fact with them blame the tech who said it was must of been confused with a different car etc that might be your only chance and its remote as i would expect they would of took pictures of it all ,
will add for anyone reading this when you get any warnings on these gearboxes dont drive them stop where its at on the road switch off get it recovered,, as common the warning comes on at point where the damage might not be that bad and driving on does tend to make the outcome worse,
as for your car recon gearbox or electrical fire lol

1 - 2 of 2 Posts