MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These new 'summer' tires have pushed the concept of "dedicated purpose" a bit further; the question is "Do they perform as advertised?" I've just mounted a set for our Cooper CVT.

I don't find any other threads on MINI2 so let's follow what happens and share notes on experience, wear, and... performance. This is a new tire, the "Star Spec" (who dreams up these names?) changes the tire previously just called the "Direzza Sport Z1".

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

TireRack Comparison Testing, Aug'07

·
Mini Torque
2,033 Posts
its because there not available in the uk yet so most folk on here havent heard of them ive heard very very good things about them and the new bridgestone protenzas

·
Mondo-Minis*****
9 Posts
Over in the US, they are the rage in the autocross circuit. Apparently they are stickier at lower temps than the Bridgestone RE-01R's and because of how they are layered can get to stickier rubber sooner during the life of the tire. They are supposedly slightly wider than other tires of the same size. If wet grip is important, they are supposed to be very good in the wet as well, challenging the Eagle F1 GS-D3. I've also seen the Star Spec Z1 at $70 less per tire than the RE-01R's on TireRack so they are becoming very popular!

·
Mini Torque
2,033 Posts
dammit why are our tyre sites **** poor next to tyre track

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wonderful turn-in, lower than expected rolling noise, and excellent grip when warmed.

All of these impressions are in cool and damp conditions, not the summer temps that are recommended.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts