MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I have seen the first Cooper S brochure (including specs) over here in the Netherlands.

The brochure itself is not much different from the version of ado15:

brochure 1

brochure part 2

Of course there was a technical and equipment sheet, most important facts: the Cooper S will weight 1095 kg (that will do nice with 163 pk and 210 NM)

The equipmant of the S is equilly with the Cooper with the following extra's:
airco (manually, climate controll will cost you extra)
heated wing mirrors

and ehh that's about it.

You will have to pay for:
sportsuspension plus (are they nuts :confused: at BMW?)
sport seats (oh yes there nuts! :D )
radio (what! A car from EUR 28.500 without radio)
climate controll
height adjustable passenger seat
leather seats
you can also buy the Chilli package (like on the Cooper)
etc, etc (the list is to long to mention..)

If the car will cost EUR 28.500 than it will be a very exclusive and very tiny (i've driven a cooper with 2 pals, not much - read any - space behind the frontseats!) car in the Netherlands.

I will try to get the brochure scanned so i can post it over here, but don't hold your breath..

greetings and merry chrismas to you

Roy

ps might be buying the new 180 bhp 206....

·
Registered
448 Posts

The equipmant of the S is equilly with the Cooper with the following extra's:
airco (manually, climate controll will cost you extra)
heated wing mirrors

and ehh that's about it.

You will have to pay for:
sportsuspension plus (are they nuts :confused: at BMW?)
sport seats (oh yes there nuts! :D )
radio (what! A car from EUR 28.500 without radio)
climate controll
height adjustable passenger seat
leather seats
Then they've gone mad - that is quite a bit different to the spec that we've seen from the US and Oz.

I'd _expect_ sports suspension plus and sports seats (in 1/2 leather) as standard as a bare minimum.

Will the upgrade to climate control over aircon be at the full climate control list price, or will it take into account that you've already paid for the aircon you got as standard?

BMW have always been ridiculously tight with radios. If they're too tight with this car, I might have to reconsider my order, as money's going to be tight for me this year.

·
Loves Leecey
4,758 Posts
Don't believe that piece of brochure. That thing assumes in every country that there will be nothing standard. The car will be loaded in Holland, I know that from BMW Netherlands. You're right though about the manual airco as standard. The car will be standard with the sportseats AND sport suspension plus in the first place!:eek:

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
I would be very suprised if SSP+ and sports seats weren't standard.

As far as anything else..well when it comes to the spec for the UK I ain't going to hold my breath.

LMB:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
There are number of members of this forum who,with experience, consider SSP+ to be too firm for everyday use, particularly with 16" wheels. I feel that, to suit all tastes, the choice of standard or + suspension should be available. Runflat tyres appear to be VERY expensive and again should remain an option. ( When did you last have a puncture, he says with fingers crossed!!!)
Sports seats very necessary.

Geoff Poad.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dutch Cooper S spec

Don't believe that piece of brochure. That thing assumes in every country that there will be nothing standard. The car will be loaded in Holland, I know that from BMW Netherlands. You're right though about the manual airco as standard. The car will be standard with the sportseats AND sport suspension plus in the first place
Fot your information, last week there was a meeting of the Mini dealers at BMW headquarters, and that's where the officialy dutch brochure is from, so I suppose is pretty official then... :(

But on the other hand, of course I hope not so because SS+ en sport seats are absolute required ;)

BTW where do you live in the Netherlands OnlyS4me?

Greetz Roy

·
Loves Leecey
4,758 Posts
SSP and the sportseats are the main items of the S, same as the X-lite's, runflat technology and roof spoiler are. Those where the first things announced at the press-release. This items make the difference with the 'normal' Cooper, not only the compressor.

BTW, I live in Odiliapeel. That's near Uden/Volkel/Veghel.

·
Registered
448 Posts
There are number of members of this forum who,with experience, consider SSP+ to be too firm for everyday use, particularly with 16" wheels.
Ha! My current car has 12" wheels with lowered and stiffened sports suspension based on a track setup. It's firm enough that I can tell the sex of each hedgehog I run over, but I don't consider it too firm for everyday use.

I cannot recall if the Cooper I test-drove had SSP or SSP+, but I considered it too _soft_ for everyday use, particularly if I wanted to fully commit to taking any sharp corners at speed!

I wouldn't mind SSP+ being a no-cost option on the S, to cater for the jessies, but it would be a big, big drawback if BMW expect us to pay extra for the increased handling capabilities that a car like the S is going to require.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
I doubt very much if SSP+ is NOT standard. In ALL reviews of the S, SSP+ is mentioned as standard issue along with Traction Control.

BMW would not put 163BHP into a car that wallows through corners. Insanity!

I hope for your sake I'm not proved wrong.

SSP+, Traction & Half leather Sports seats are min standard fair in Oz & US. My dealer is still to be convinced that we won't get CC Air as standard as well.

·
Loves Leecey
4,758 Posts
Thanks for the scan FFOP, but I can't say I'm pleased with it!:(
BMW/MINI got to do something about this. I'm more and more beginning to worry about the car. Too much faults, not very supportive dealers, to much to buy extra for!
How much does it take to call myself OnlyTYPE-R4me:confused: :mad:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OnlyS4me did you buy last Autovisie? There was a test between the Clio Sport en de Civic Type-R. What can I say, it's not a rare thing that you look at the Type-R. Hence I'am considering buying for myself, but I'am also considering a Alfa 147 2.0 and what about the new Corolla T-sport...

We just have to wait and see for de final specs and price from the Cooper S. Till then fingers crossed..

ps. I've updated my personal gallery only euhm not with Mini's because it get's already enough attention in the gallery's, isn't it..

·
Loves Leecey
4,758 Posts
Type R....

Sure did!
You should have a look at Type R and download the additional sounds.....
You have no idea what hit you...awesome.
Hear it go through the six gears and go to the redline of 7900 rpm!!:D

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Re: Type R....

OnlyS4me said:
You should have a look at Type R sounds....awesome

Doesn't it just:p

I am starting to go the way of the R Type myself. My Cooper is costing me nearly £15,000 alone, if I had shelled out another grand I could have got an R Type :(

I personally like the look of the Civic as well. But I will give the Mini a chance, I plan to keep my Cooper for at least a year, then I will see if the Cooper S has lived up to the hype. I can see it being a VERY expensive car though. If you think the base price of the Cooper is £11,600, it has cost me £3000+ to spec it up. Using the same logic for the S and you are talking £18,000:eek:

When you consider for £15,995 you can buy a Honda Civic Type R it seems very good value for money indeed.

So BMW what out!!! :eek:

LMB:D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Again, we Americans are left out in the cold! We have no plans for getting the "R" type Civic. We are, however getting the "Si", which I guess, will put a bit of a dent in the sales of the "S", but probably will not put up much of a fight. My fear is that the "S" pricing will spiral upwards of $25k. If this is the case, I will be forced to take a strong look at other vehicles, such as the Mercedes C230 coupe and Impreza WRX. The Cooper "S" is a great $22k car. A fantastic one. But, I'm not paying more than that for any FWD car. Plain and simple. :mad:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Who am I kidding?? I've already looked at those cars. I still want the "S"! Just don't want to spend $30k, y'know?! I'm such a toughguy!!:cool:

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
Settle down, people.

I looked at the scan of the Dutch 'S' brochure, and it says that Sports Suspension Plus and Sports Seats are STANDARD.

Has this thread got off on the wrong foot ??

I know it says that all stereo equipment is optional, but I think that is not intended, and may just be a limit of the way that the specs are presented. Look at the USA options list to see how it should be relayed.

Look at Roof in Body Colour - it's noted as optional, but we know that it's a No Cost option. There may be other N/C options.Has this thread got off on the wrong foot ??

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
eltel said:
Settle down, people.

I looked at the scan of the Dutch 'S' brochure, and it says that Sports Suspension Plus and Sports Seats are STANDARD.

Has this thread got off on the wrong foot ??

I know it says that all stereo equipment is optional, but I think that is not intended, and may just be a limit of the way that the specs are presented. Look at the USA options list to see how it should be relayed.

Look at Roof in Body Colour - it's noted as optional, but we know that it's a No Cost option. There may be other N/C options.Has this thread got off on the wrong foot ??
If you put your face really close to the screen this blue type becomes almost legible

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
FFOP said:
OnlyS4me did you buy last Autovisie? There was a test between the Clio Sport en de Civic Type-R. What can I say, it's not a rare thing that you look at the Type-R. Hence I'am considering buying for myself, but I'am also considering a Alfa 147 2.0 and what about the new Corolla T-sport...

We just have to wait and see for de final specs and price from the Cooper S. Till then fingers crossed..

ps. I've updated my personal gallery only euhm not with Mini's because it get's already enough attention in the gallery's, isn't it..
I wan't to see a road test of the S vs. main contenders. Gutfeel is that the S will win decisively, based on all round sortedness, driveability, character, etc.

And I'd like to drive all the cars myself too

Is that too much to want?

P.S. I've got a 98 Civic VTi-R. Not a match for the new Type-R, but still a good car. Only complaints are that controls are very light and lack 'connectedness' and car lacks any real charm. Have Honda fixed either of these things with new model? (Rhetorical)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Eltel wake up!! You looked at the scan from ADO15 which is, i think a GB brochure. :D

I posted only a scan of the specifications. Written in Dutch.....

Look again, you can find it in my personal gallery:

link to dutch cooper S specs

Roy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts