MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have experince with using Dynamat products.
Do they work or is it another con ?

Great to hear from anybody with useful advise.

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
Yes it does work... but I've found that the soundproofing that comes as standard is more than adequate. I'm running a sub and I don't hear any rattles. Got 6.5" speakers up front, no rattles. 6x9's in rear - no rattles. It's quite a solid car, so you wouldn't need all that much if you actually do find you need some at all...

hope that helps,

Dom

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the info.

I thought the front speakers were 5.25 inch

How did you install the amp and sub in the boot.
What i need to know is how to pass the power for the amp and also how to fix the amp and the sub to the boot floor.

Did you drill ?

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
I mounted the 6.5" speakers by making some spacers out of MDF, and then attached them using the normal screw holes. No drilling involved. Well, not into the car anyway...

Also, I've made a 'how-to' guide for fitting the power cable for an amp without drilling holes:

How to fit power cable

My amp is attached to a false floor, which is placed between the sub box and the side of boot. I basically made it into a shelf at the same height as the 'lip' of the boot.

Hope that helps,

Dom

·
Registered
115 Posts
dynamatt works

I am living proof that Dynamatt REALLY works. My car was used by DIamond Audio as one of their 3 show cars at this years Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas. My car was totally stripped and Dynamatted thru out. people see the boot and think that I am going to break windows but the beauty is the sound is totally contained within. Your ears can be bleeding inside if you want and 10 ft away you cant tell the system is even on . Even normal driving is quieter as wel las when you close the doors they give a much more secure sound ala mercedes. If you go to this page on my site you can see the car in various stages of being put together. Hope this helps

http://www.maxmini.net/events_audio.htm

Attachments

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
I'll vouch for the Dynamat as well. The before and after when I did my doors was noticeable enough that my wife mentioned it. She didn't know what I had done or even that I had done anything. She basically ignores me when I tinker :)
She just said the stereo sounded better. She does have a very good ear though. Violin player and all that.

B-Quiet rates pretty good as well and is much cheaper.

2 tips:
Absolutely no air bubbles and roll it out very well.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
donald said:
How much we need to put on the car, beside the two door is there anywhere such like under seat, the boot..etc.
I did under the seat and boot as well. Mainly for exhaust reasons but it had a nice effect on the stereo sound as well.
Only did a single layer at each location.

One word of caution. There is a yellow sealant in the doors. You MUST get this off the door. The mat will not stick to it. It's like wax. I scraped most off and used acetone to get the rest.

I used 4 of the 18" x 32" Extreme packs. 1.8 lbs per pack.

If you're real serious you can take off the rear interior panels and do that as well.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
obehave said:
I did under the seat and boot as well. Mainly for exhaust reasons but it had a nice effect on the stereo sound as well.
Only did a single layer at each location.

One word of caution. There is a yellow sealant in the doors. You MUST get this off the door. The mat will not stick to it. It's like wax. I scraped most off and used acetone to get the rest.

I used 4 of the 18" x 32" Extreme packs. 1.8 lbs per pack.

If you're real serious you can take off the rear interior panels and do that as well.
Whats the tips for removing the doors? I'm thinking about them also... but not sure how or IF I even want to mess with removing the doors if its hard to do.

·
Resident MINI Hairloss Dr
835 Posts
I used Dynamat on my doors and the sound is ten times better now. Louder and more crisp. Be very careful when pulling the door off that you dont break the plastic clips. There are four torx bits that need to be taken out first. Three in the door pull and one hidden behind the reflector on the inside of the door. Just use a flathead screwdriver to carefully pry the reflector off.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
antsmini said:
Be very careful when pulling the door off that you dont break the plastic clips. There are four torx bits that need to be taken out first. Three in the door pull and one hidden behind the reflector on the inside of the door. Just use a flathead screwdriver to carefully pry the reflector off.
Thats it? just 4 screws and some plastic clips?? would you happen to remember where the clips are?

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Ah great... "pull hard and hope for the best???" hahahhah ya I guess buying extra clips would be a good idea...

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
EBMCS03 said:
Ah great... "pull hard and hope for the best???" hahahhah ya I guess buying extra clips would be a good idea...
I've had my panels off 2-3 times and haven't had any broken.
Just start at the bottom and work you r way up the door.
Totally different subject matter but here's a pic of my door panel off. You can see all the push clips. Highlighted with blue tape.
This was from the original kill the squeak thread. Works great BTW and I highly recommend doing something here if you have any door squeaks.
2 birds, 1 stone and all that.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Haha thanks obehave... I knew you would recommend dynomat.. since you have practically you're whole car dynomated. :) So you think doing just the two font doors would help?

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Cool thanks... I'll have to invest in some of those... now debating between dynamat extreme or B-Quiet Brown Bread...

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
EBMCS03 said:
Haha thanks obehave... I knew you would recommend dynomat.. since you have practically you're whole car dynomated. :) So you think doing just the two font doors would help?
That was my first step. Definitely made a difference.
Did the boot the following weekend and under the seat a few weeks after that.

My wife noticed the difference after I had done just the doors.
Actually B-Quiet is pretty good too. Cheaper as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts