MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I dyno-ed my 03 JCW S yesterday at Performance Autosport here in the central VA area. Performance specializes in Saleen Mustang tuning but welcomed MINI owners with open arms :cool: :D and they use a Dynojet machine.

http://www.performanceautosport.com/frames/

My car is stock and features the 200hp JCW kit (head, plugs, wires, SC, pulley, exhaust, ECU) as well as the new JCW airbox and bigger injectors :D. The wheels are 16" R90s featuring heavy and very worn Dunlop runflats :eek:. Driven almost 30,000 miles.

It rained in the morning, but then began to clear as we arrived at the dyno shop. In between pulls, we paused 5-10 min and placed a bag of ice on top of the intercooler.

The results (done in 4th gear):

3rd pull (me) @65 deg F, 51% humidity: 188 hp, 163 lb-ft
2nd pull (me) @64 deg F, 54% humidity: 183 hp, 159 lb-ft
1st pull (technician) @63 deg F, 60% humidity: 179 hp, 159 lb-ft

Quite healthy numbers however there is always room for improvement ;) :D. The graph showed it is strong in the mids and highs as it should be but could use a few more ponies down low, but then again it feels just fine using the butt dyno :p :D. The car really appreciated the ice in between runs or something that's for sure! We put the ice on top of my friend's intercooler and it didn't make any difference :confused:. It appears I took the car up to 6800 rpm with each pull. The technician commented on the smooth and linear power delivery compared to other (non-MINI) cars.

Here's a link to a graph of my best run as well as that of my friend's modded MC40:

http://www.rivercityminis.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=178

·
Registered
36 Posts
here's my power graphs from last week....

i have attached my cooper s works graphs and also a pic of my 2 cars together.... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
S2000&CooperS said:
Yes, HP at the wheels :).
Hmmmmm. again another dyno quote. 188hp at the wheels from nothing more then a JCW kit? Doesn't sound right to me at all, but what do I know I guess. If you told me this was at the crank then I would agree as this is closer to the numbers I have seen. 190hp at the crank is a good JWC number.

Oooppps, sorry, again I didn't read your post so well. I see you have individual mods and not the JCW
I need help...:eek:

OK, read it again, and I can't figure out just what you HAVE modified your MCS with. Is it a JCW or individual mods? Still seem hight to me, but I see you are on the 16" rims with slick tires. Big dif there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
my dyno graph shows....

my dyno graph shows the apparent power at the flywheel.....me thinks the 190 lbft of torque is the important one! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
hope this is better....

a larger image of my graph...i hope!

Attachments

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car is a stock MCS with the 210hp JCW kit. It is the one that made 188hp and 163 lb-ft of torque.

A local friend of mine with a modded MC40 made 178hp and 153 lb-ft of torque on the dyno.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
with M111nme graphs showing apparent at flywheel HP and torq. These number can vary wildly depending on the tech. A couple days before S2000 (mike) went to the dyno. I did the dyno hunt in the area and found the place to have some of this set up. on there dyno for the inital run (since mine was the first mini there) The setting for reading torq was a bit off. Ok alot off!! First run showed 178 hp at wheels but the torq showed 320 lbs :eek: After getting the setting right and two more pulls with no ice on the IC. I was able to do a 176 hp with 158 lbs of torq.

The interesting thing about the runs is the A/F readings. Once we can get one of our members to run there mini with the Stock Programming it should reveal a few things. So far both mine and Redbarons cars are running the MTH programming. Which is far richer than Mikes with the JCW up to the point of 5800 where ours begin to lean out Dont know if its due to programming or maxing out the injectors. But i am planning on getting the JCW upgrade kit.. just for the injectors.(already have a buyer for the Intake) and see if i can get the ecu reflashed. This way i can have a run with stock.. JCW stock.. and MTH. Then play with the SAFC and see if i can squeeze out some more.

After that if i get time and cash i'll start playing with the effecency to get the numbers even higher. :cool:

Until we meet on the road
Have fun, Be safe and Keep MOTOV8N

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
S2000&CooperS said:
My car is a stock MCS with the 210hp JCW kit. It is the one that made 188hp and 163 lb-ft of torque.

A local friend of mine with a modded MC40 made 178hp and 153 lb-ft of torque on the dyno.

The numbers do sound high, but you've compared to another car on the same dyno, which makes them much more useful :cool:

Having 10 more bhp than your buddy is always nice :D

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
IML337 said:
The numbers do sound high, but you've compared to another car on the same dyno, which makes them much more useful :cool:

Having 10 more bhp than your buddy is always nice :D
My JCW 200hp car made 184 fhp (DIN corrected from 172 fhp measured) back in June 2003. So why shouldn't a 210 make 188...

214 - (214*0.12) = 188
209 - (209*0.12) = 184

here is the link and loads of discussion:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34422&highlight=dyno

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.