MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the only way of telling to take it apart? I'm sure mine is non serviceable, but filing my car details into a parts supplier, it's saying the serviceable filter fits? but have read of others ordering this part to then find out no go.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
You would need to change the fuel pump for the modified version, that way you can conduct fuel filter changes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You would need to change the fuel pump for the modified version, that way you can conduct fuel filter changes.
Yeah I thought about that, but before I buy one, is there a visual check I can do without having to completely take the present one out to make sure I need it?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
What visual differences are there between them? looking from the top?
read my post again :serious:

if your car is a pre march 2002 car it will have the non serviceable filter.

if its after like my august registered r50 it will have the removable type.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi6uJrml_rSAhVoKsAKHXAEDykQtwIIGjAA&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCppUQfNZQQ&usg=AFQjCNGlrl8UCPj-V82CVrItiB5mCc4kHw&sig2=Xs5qzlw4o9S3o4gqdTDTyA&bvm=bv.150729734,d.bGs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, just clicked on the link and missed that, is it a pretty simple swap? or should I just stick an inline filter on to prevent crud reaching the engine, 105k now, must be pretty dirty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I'll just put an inline filter in, the cars just a cheap run around, I always try and maintain everything that needs it, but a cheap run about quickly turns into a money pit converting stuff like that, thanks for the help anyway guys, much appreciated

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
What visual differences are there between them? looking from the top?
The early style of fuel filter were non serviceable and sealed units, they are also a discontinued item and must be replaced with the new style unit which has a serviceable filter. You best option is to obtain a fuel filter unit from a later version R50/R53 from a wrecker and change the filter as its not cheap to replace the old with a new, new style. The fuel pumps are identical for all Gen 1's and don't require changing unless they are worn out. An in line filter is not the best idea as your talking high pressure lines and the inline filter may not withstand the pressure. For a 1st time attempt, should take you no more than 30 mins to swap the entire filter unit out and do it with no more than 1/4 of a tank of fuel. Attached are images of the old and new style filter units.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The early style of fuel filter were non serviceable and sealed units, they are also a discontinued item and must be replaced with the new style unit which has a serviceable filter. You best option is to obtain a fuel filter unit from a later version R50/R53 from a wrecker and change the filter as its not cheap to replace the old with a new, new style. The fuel pumps are identical for all Gen 1's and don't require changing unless they are worn out. An in line filter is not the best idea as your talking high pressure lines and the inline filter may not withstand the pressure. For a 1st time attempt, should take you no more than 30 mins to swap the entire filter unit out and do it with no more than 1/4 of a tank of fuel. Attached are images of the old and new style filter units.
Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for, from what I'd read from other people, it sounded like the non serviceable filter was an all in one unit with the pump, and not able to just swap the actual filter housing.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yup, far easier to remove both the fuel filter unit and fuel pump when working on either. not really difficult but with a 1/4 tank or less, less chance of spillage but you need to be methodical and take your time so you don't spill fuel inside the car and use a lot of rags. Modmini on YouTube does a filter change but to me, its far easier to remove the whole filter unit and less chance of spillage. If you PM me your email I can send you a PDF I made based on both Filter and Pump unit removal but its to large to upload as an attachment. You only need basic tools and lots of rags to swap them out. When I did my fuel pump, it took 15 mins with a full fuel tank under a carport.

I had fuel starvation issues due to an old style filter, swapped it out and 3 days later the pump failed, as I chose to buy new units for both items, it cost me around AUD $850.00. Sourcing the filter unit from a wrecker should save a few dollars and just change the filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yup, far easier to remove both the fuel filter unit and fuel pump when working on either. not really difficult but with a 1/4 tank or less, less chance of spillage but you need to be methodical and take your time so you don't spill fuel inside the car and use a lot of rags. Modmini on YouTube does a filter change but to me, its far easier to remove the whole filter unit and less chance of spillage. If you PM me your email I can send you a PDF I made based on both Filter and Pump unit removal but its to large to upload as an attachment. You only need basic tools and lots of rags to swap them out. When I did my fuel pump, it took 15 mins with a full fuel tank under a carport.

I had fuel starvation issues due to an old style filter, swapped it out and 3 days later the pump failed, as I chose to buy new units for both items, it cost me around AUD $850.00. Sourcing the filter unit from a wrecker should save a few dollars and just change the filter.
Hi, if you still have it, I'd love to get that PDF

1 - 17 of 17 Posts