MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

As many of you know, several of us are competing in the East Coast Targa Rally, which starts this week.

From the mini2 Australian boards, there are 3 entries

1. Andrew Robinson (robbo mcs) and Andrew Jackson (Boo)
2. Stuart Jones (Stu Jones) and Steve Green (Warped)

both are competing in MCS in the modern "competion" category.

3. Matt Freeburn (S4 Matt)

Matt is not competing in his wifes mini this year :( , but has entering the "touring" category in his awesome Lancia Delta Integrale :p

There are also some other mini entries, from teams that are not on the mini2 boards as far as I am aware. In the modern "competition" category there are 2 minis entered by Sherrin Hire, and in modern "touring" there is one entered by Scallywags racing.

Matt entered last year, and did well, coming 2nd in the touring category in his mini :D For both the cars in the competition, it is our first rally, so we will be taking it carefully, trying to gain experience, and do as well as we can.

There is an interesting mix of cars entered in both the modern and classic categories, including lots of porsches, ferraris, lotus etc. There are 120 entries in total.

The rally is conducted on closed public tarmac roads roads. On the first day this is on the old pacific highway. The next three days are centre around Bathurst, Lithgow, Blayney and Oberon. We also do some circuit components, including Eastern Creek, Oran Park and Mount Panorama :D :D :D

The rally will be featured on channel 7's sunrise each morning, in the weather breaks. Grant Denyer, the weatherman is competing. There also will be a TV special on channel 10 in January.

For anyone interested in following the progress, the results will be posted daily on the website.

East Coast Targa

We'll post some results and photos after the rally ;)

Wish us luck

Cheers

Robbo

·
Brass Cannons
3,488 Posts

Thanks Robbo for posting the link, I will follow your progress with great interest. I wish all you MINI2er's the best of luck and safe driving.

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
All the best, guys :D

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Good luck guys, have a safe trip and enjoy every moment you guys get to speed without getting a ticket :)

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ERIN OLSON said:
Good luck guys !

I m looking forward to seeing some good GIANT KILLER results !

mmm... I dont think so :eek:

It is our first rally. We are hoping to compete, have fun, get some experience and get home with us and the car in one piece :D Then we can use this a launching board for a more serious attempt in the future ;)

Also, have a look at the cars in the competition category :eek: We are seriously outgunned :eek: :rolleyes:

However, as I've said before, once we see the first timesheet, all those carefully laid plans will go out the window :D :D :D

At the moment I am just hoping it stops raining. The wet would actually suit our car. However, there is a significant possibility that many stages will have to be cancelled if it keeps dumping :eek: Lets hope the rain stays right over the Warragamba catchment area and not over Bathurst etc ;)

Cheers

Robbo

·
my second passion, a tin!
729 Posts
hmmm me partaking in my pre race "constitutional" and Steve practicing the "if I can't see it is wont happen" theory

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Hehe!! I spent the weekend in Bathurst and if the weather was that good, you will have a magnificent time!!

I drove Mt Panorama no less than 6 laps... in a Toyota Avensis MPV!! What a great time, my mates and I were in tears of laugher as I hooned around the track screeching the tyres out of all the corners and I driving past a ricer in his Lancer...

I can tell you, there is not many things I have been scared of behind the wheel, but it is kinda scary driving towards nothing at Skyline... what a rush!!

The other great thing about Mt Panorama is the constant reminders of where people have come unstuck along the way... I kept on looking at the skidmarks into the fences going "ohhh that would have hurt!!"

Just dont do that!!

Todd

·
JCW No. 1459
869 Posts
StuJones said:
hmmm me partaking in my pre race "constitutional" and Steve practicing the "if I can't see it is wont happen" theory
Just think of me as your little guardian angel Stu ;) and if all else fails there is always the hand brake :rolleyes: :p

·
my second passion, a tin!
729 Posts
warped said:
Just think of me as your little guardian angel Stu ;) and if all else fails there is always the hand brake :rolleyes: :p
Ahhh now I get it. Its not an effort to remove yourself from the process but an intense call to the almighty to guide us all on the path of safety;)

We're on a mission from god.........

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
StuJones said:
Ahhh now I get it. Its not an effort to remove yourself from the process but an intense call to the almighty to guide us all on the path of safety;)

Hi,

Steve, after reading that last post from Stu, I would be starting to get concerned if I was in your shoes :eek: Make sure your harness is extra tight, keep your right hand on the handbrake, and as a last resort, remember you are in control as the navigator, a bogus "extreme danger 100m" call will allways keep him under control :cool: ;)

Cheers

Robbo

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GOGADGET said:
Just some of the guys, that are taking part in the East Coast Targa

*where was Robbo ?*
Hi Captain,

Sorry I missed out on the photo :(

I was out the back, demonstrating to some of the promo girls how much fun you can have in the mini :D

Cheers

Robbo

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
warped said:
My sincere good wishes Steve, you are going to need them with Stu driving, it isn't any fun being the navigator when your used to being the driver, Did i ever tell you about my navigating days in the Australian Safari :rolleyes: Oh yes, I did, that's right, it was a long trip to Tassie, wasn't it :D

All the best to all the MINi drivers.

Are there spectating opportunities at Eastern Creek on Thursday, and if so where do we go, can we mix it with the fabluous MINI drivers in the pits? ;)

·
JCW No. 1459
869 Posts
StuJones said:
Oh Lord what did I sign up for :rolleyes:

Just remember Stu ... you break the MINI and you won't be going to Tassie ... that got your attention didn't it :p

1 - 20 of 110 Posts