MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my MC has an S rear spoiler. it is coming loose at the left hand side. how is the spoiler fitted? is it bolted on?

it appears that there is a sticky rubber seal on the spolier which has lost its stickiness- i think i just have to glue it down again but want to check if the spoiler is bolted too

thanks in advance

t_t

·
Un-Banned
1,999 Posts
tuscan_thunder said:
Hi, my MC has an S rear spoiler. it is coming loose at the left hand side. how is the spoiler fitted? is it bolted on?

it appears that there is a sticky rubber seal on the spolier which has lost its stickiness- i think i just have to glue it down again but want to check if the spoiler is bolted too

thanks in advance

t_t
I removed my S spoiler for an M7 so have experienced the great time you have removing one....
It is held down by two large bolts (easy part) which can be acessed by removing the rubber plugs on either side of the upper boot/trunk. It is then held down by a very strong epoxy glue which requires a heat gun or hair dryer and strong fingers to vaporise (bad part).
You will probably have to take off then re-glue it down. Its not fun, but better than scratching your roof through vibration.
Try a 3M sticky pad or glue as Im sure it would hold enough.

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers mate,

actually, after reading searched threads, i'm not sure if i've got an S spoiler or an aero spoiler! i'll check the brochures at lunchtime. guess there's not that much difference in the fitting. i think it just needs superglued down.

thanks

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
an s spoiler only meets the roof at the 2 ends, the aero spoiler is joined all the way along. dont know what youve been doing to your poor mini, but when i went to change my s spoiler for my zeemax one, getting the original off was a nightmare! involved lots of fairy liquid, cheese wire and no small amount of swearing! it's held on by 2 big bolts and then large sticky pads which grip on for dear life! just be careful if youre using cheesewire or the like- try and hold it against the spoiler rather than the roof- it would make a bit of a horrible scratched mess if the wire comes into contact with the paintwork!

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
If its an S spoier on a cooper fitted by a dealer then its not bolted on. The spoilers are only ever bolted on at the factory. If the dealer fit a spoiler to a none spoiler'd car they just glue them on.

Have attached a zip file with pictures of an Aero spoiler

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts