MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just taken delivery of my facelift Cooper (last Friday) and love it, particularly the chrome. The Mini body kit is on a slightly longer lead time and so my mini will be going back to the dealership in a couple of weeks to have it fitted plus the white lights that were also late.

The thing is, I have fallen in love with the chrome grill on my kitless cooper, and am getting increasingly concerned that I won't like the black grills when it comes back. I am not the kind of person to mess about with installing things myself (I know my limitations!) so just having sleepless nights about it.

Any thoughts, pictures, comments, reassurance would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
magnifity said:
I have just taken delivery of my facelift Cooper (last Friday) and love it, particularly the chrome. The Mini body kit is on a slightly longer lead time and so my mini will be going back to the dealership in a couple of weeks to have it fitted plus the white lights that were also late.

The thing is, I have fallen in love with the chrome grill on my kitless cooper, and am getting increasingly concerned that I won't like the black grills when it comes back. I am not the kind of person to mess about with installing things myself (I know my limitations!) so just having sleepless nights about it.

Any thoughts, pictures, comments, reassurance would be appreciated!!
Hi magnifity,

Good colour choice ;)

I have the same colour car as you with the full aero bodykit (inc. black grill) - I personally love it, I think it gives the car a more aggresive look, I also got my arches colour coded to blend the whole look. Have a look in my gallery.

I 've had some white bonnet stripes put on since then and am also getting my car lowered this weekend :cool:

Cheers, LB.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pics, they look great.

If only I hadn't bonded with the semi-naked mini i.e. chrome grill!

Any other thoughts out there?

·
MINI2 Irregular
596 Posts
Again brill colour choice. Got the same MC ordered for sept.

Im personal not a fan of the chrome grills. Im changing for the aero grill but on the stock bumpers with the aero side skirts.

I did consider painting the grill EB like on a MCS. was quoted £150. I also tryed to find an actual MCS grill from someone here on Mini2 who had bought the aerokit. Didnt find anyone though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Magnifity, you are able to keep the old top part of the chrome grill with the aero kit, the bit that on the bonnet. And you can get an aftermarket chrome bit that fits in the space for the aero kit, the old one is too big. Go to

http://www.minisport.co.uk

They have a black Cooper as their demo car that has the aero kit and a chrome grill. I asked them about it and they say they do it. Worth gettin in touch if you realy wanna keep it chrome, I know I am once I get my aero kit :D

·
JP :-)
1,901 Posts
Click Here

It is possible, but from reading other comments it seems like quite a difficult job :confused:

If you check out the above thread or do other searches I am sure you will find useful information on how this can be done as I hope to keep my chrome grill when I get the AeroKit at Christmas :cool: :D

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I picked up my EB/W Cooper last week and I love the chrome with the EB, so I can understand your problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chrome junky happy - THE CHROME STAYS

Thanks to all for the posts on the merits of the black grills on the cooper aero kit. Even though at one point I felt that going with the black was not such a big deal after all (there were some lovely gallery pics of the full black grills), and at another point I was going to get the back and sides but not the front of the kit fitted - I still secretly longed to keep the chrome.

Fantastic news! At last my dealer has come back and confirmed that they are able to fit the 2 top chrome grills from the standard cooper into the cooper aero kit, just leaving the grill at the very bottom black. I think (hope!) this will look fab. I note from other posts that this might not be so easy - but hey! they promised to do it so the ball is in their court.

I am happy!

Still no date on when the kit arrives though, think it will be early September as apparently they ordered it to be painted at the factory as opposed to painted at the dealer's body shop. (I just believe everything they tell me - not sure if its true or not!) Hopefully white rear/side lights will arrive at the same time.

I will wait to add new pictures to my gallery when its all done, as it feels almost indecent to post more pictures of a semi-naked mini!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
Intrepid
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing