MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d heard rumours that the stock intercooler on the cooper s was a little too small for the car, and seeing as I’m planning on going for stage 2 I thought I’d pick myself up an intercooler.
Shopped around a bit and realised these things seem to be quite expensive. £350-£500 was the going rate for a decent brand.

I couldn’t really justify that as I’d only spent just under a grand to get the car about a month ago so I looked around for cheaper options, thinking “how much difference can there actually be between a £100 one and a £500 one”. I’m not going for mad power (only about 240-270hp) so I wouldn’t be pushing it that hard anyway.

I found one I like on eBay from a company called mxpuk, they all looked roughly the same anyway and were around the same price (£110) but this one offered free next day delivery. So I ordered it. This was about 15:00 on a weekday and I received an email an hour later saying it had been dispatched. And as promised, about lunch time the next day, the ups man arrived with my intercooler.
Took about 2 hours to install, mostly because of the horrible little plastic clips they use to hold on the bumpers but after that came off it was quite straight forward, pipes and mounting holes lined up well and it looks quite good. Though it was quite hard to refit the bumper as the new cooler is a fair bit thicker than the old one.

So far the horror stories of awful fitting and misaligned hoses are just that, stories. It fits well and there’s no strange rattles or leaks, even with some more “spirited” driving.

I haven’t had a chance to test the numbers yet as my PCV hose split in half the day after I fitted the intercooler, apparently someone had previously tried to fix it with duct tape to little avail. I will update this thread when I have the chance to test it properly, but so far it’s looking good.

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
Most ebay ones are just cheap copies of the bigger name ones.

They'll work just as well, but quality will be below the bigger names but then you're not paying the price.

Many have used ebay turbos, silicone hoses etc... with no problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts