MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Thought I’d share with you some problems I’m having with my R53 JCW Mini spoiler I recently purchased off eBay.

Won the item around mid July, paid promptly and it was promptly despatched. I opened up the package and everything seemed ok. Just focused on the spoiler really, which was brand new.

Took it into my dealer yesterday to have it fitted and they advised that it was missing parts. The first part was two sticky pads that go under the fins covering the bolt holes from the original spoiler.

The second part was a bonding template. This basically sticks on the car and acts as the alignment tool for applying the adhesive and spoiler. The dealer has advised that you cannot purchase this as a separate part. As a result, they have said they will attempt to fit the spoiler but can’t be 100%. Plus there may extra labour involved!!!:(

I have contacted the guy who sold it to me but no reply. This is a big heads up to anyone buying off eBay which may have missing parts. I’m so annoyed because I asked the guy if it had all the parts as if I had purchased it from Mini, to which the answer was yes.

I don’t suppose anyone on here has access to such a template, i.e. if they have the spoiler sitting around waiting to be fitted. The reason I ask is the dealer said you could copy/scan it and then use the copy as the template. I don’t think anyone will have it but please, please let me know if you do. You’d be a life saver.

Who’d have thought such a small part would be such a stumbling block!!!:mad::angry:

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Chris I'm really sorry to hear about your Ebay purchase. It's more than likely that I looked at that spoiler when it was listed. I''ve been looking for a sensibly priced one for ages, so thanks for giving me the heads up. I guess if the price is too good to be true, then it usually is!!! Just out of interest, how much did you pay for it?

I saw one on ebay yesterday for £150 and had no pieces with it which it will obviously need for fitment, and it had a broken clip or something. So I doubt your the ony one who is going to find this problem!

Call around a few dealers and get all of their feedbacks on this, you never know...they may have this template!!!!

Best of luck with it!

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paid £220 so was cheap but not mega cheap.

Really annoyed. I sell loads of stuff on ebay and i always make sure i describe the item as best as possible and sort out refunds if something is missing.

We'll see what this guy does. Benefit of doubt over the next day but doesn't look promising.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i'm betting the user was lilo*********

If it is i steered clear. For info i got mine from the F1sauber guy who is a parts man at a main dealers. And he dropped 50 quid on the buyit now price so it was only 280 including postage. hwoever its brand new part with everything included.

AM i right

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The user was "ally9958"....an Olly Johnson i think.

I was going to buy from the lilo guy but he didn't have a picture ofthe item at the time. I think he does now.

The F1Sauber guy looked good but the price was a bit high, as i had to factor in my local dealer fitting costs. I presume you've had the spoiler fitted now???

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
Hi All,

Thought I’d share with you some problems I’m having with my R53 JCW Mini spoiler I recently purchased off eBay.

Won the item around mid July, paid promptly and it was promptly despatched. I opened up the package and everything seemed ok. Just focused on the spoiler really, which was brand new.

Took it into my dealer yesterday to have it fitted and they advised that it was missing parts. The first part was two sticky pads that go under the fins covering the bolt holes from the original spoiler.

The second part was a bonding template. This basically sticks on the car and acts as the alignment tool for applying the adhesive and spoiler. The dealer has advised that you cannot purchase this as a separate part. As a result, they have said they will attempt to fit the spoiler but can’t be 100%. Plus there may extra labour involved!!!:(

I have contacted the guy who sold it to me but no reply. This is a big heads up to anyone buying off eBay which may have missing parts. I’m so annoyed because I asked the guy if it had all the parts as if I had purchased it from Mini, to which the answer was yes.

I don’t suppose anyone on here has access to such a template, i.e. if they have the spoiler sitting around waiting to be fitted. The reason I ask is the dealer said you could copy/scan it and then use the copy as the template. I don’t think anyone will have it but please, please let me know if you do. You’d be a life saver.

Who’d have thought such a small part would be such a stumbling block!!!:mad::angry:

I might have one???? Or Derek Woodman or sponsoring vendor on Mini2 might be able to provide you with one!?

I made the mistake of buying the bonding kit myself at £25 not realising the gun for it was £68 which I didn't buy. Ending up having to get the dealer to fit it, which meant respraying the top part of the boot lid. Ended up costing £225 to get fitted as they took the price of the adhesive kit off it!

They couldn't weld up the holes as it would more than likely warp the boot lid!

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
i'm betting the user was lilo*********

If it is i steered clear. For info i got mine from the F1sauber guy who is a parts man at a main dealers. And he dropped 50 quid on the buyit now price so it was only 280 including postage. hwoever its brand new part with everything included.

AM i right
I contacted lilo right at the very beginning and offered him £125, he said he was happy to keep on relisting instead of giving it away!! HAHA. Looks like hes sold it now though after he loaded up his photographs!!!

Ant thats pretty good knocking £50 off the buy it now price!! What I dont understand is that the White ones he sells are almost twice as expensive as all the other colours!!!....Typical!!!!!!

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked Chris and he didn't have a JCW spoiler one in stock, thus couldn't do the copy thing.

If you have one that would be amazing although if the spoiler has been fitted it will be under the spoiler. I need someone who hasn't had it fitted so they could possibly scan it. Thanks though.

Didn't realise you needed a glue gun. I was almost going to fit it myself so i would have been in a similar situation!!!!

·
SUCKIN DIESEL!!!!
7,669 Posts
I might have one???? Or Derek Woodman or sponsoring vendor on Mini2 might be able to provide you with one!?

I made the mistake of buying the bonding kit myself at £25 not realising the gun for it was £68 which I didn't buy. Ending up having to get the dealer to fit it, which meant respraying the top part of the boot lid. Ended up costing £225 to get fitted as they took the price of the adhesive kit off it!

They couldn't weld up the holes as it would more than likely warp the boot lid!
was gonna give you the heads up on this to see if you had one!;)

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not going to sell something that i know isn't complete. I've asked the guy to provide me with a partial refund to cover the extra parts and labour to fit the item.

The dealer has said they can still fit it the spoiler but the template acts as a guide. If you don't have it you need an extra set of hands to help line it up correctly. I'm hoping it's not the end of the world but given my recent luck, they'll probably turn around and say they can't fit it and still charge me for their labour!!!!

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
If its only a template then surely they cant attach the spoiler in too many different ways. They should have no problem without it. Its nt like they are performing a major opperation!!!!

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree...my assumption is that it literally sits around the upper brake light. However, i'm at the mercy of the dealer. If for some reason they say they couldn't fit it because they didn't have the template, i'm stuck with a spoiler that no one will fit.

They did say they'd give it a try so i hope they do it without any problems!!! Fingers crossed.

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
NO worries mate, I've got some Araldite and a hairdryer to speed the process up. I'll ony charge £100 for fitting and I can even put it at the front of your car if you want...it helps deflect the air over your car better!!!

Only messing about! Call some body shops, people like Modnmini would probably help you!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I'm not going to sell something that i know isn't complete. I've asked the guy to provide me with a partial refund to cover the extra parts and labour to fit the item.

The dealer has said they can still fit it the spoiler but the template acts as a guide. If you don't have it you need an extra set of hands to help line it up correctly. I'm hoping it's not the end of the world but given my recent luck, they'll probably turn around and say they can't fit it and still charge me for their labour!!!!

Mate, I am surprised your dealers are so handicapped to not be able to fit this without the template as it lines up on the break light anyway.

Numptys!!

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
I agree...my assumption is that it literally sits around the upper brake light. However, i'm at the mercy of the dealer. If for some reason they say they couldn't fit it because they didn't have the template, i'm stuck with a spoiler that no one will fit.

They did say they'd give it a try so i hope they do it without any problems!!! Fingers crossed.

Unfortunately the bodyshop must have mine! I'll take a photo of the back of mine tomorrow night if thats any help?

They should be able to get it for! If not name and shame them on Dealer feedback.

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know....the more and more i thought about this the template is just a guide. If you don't have it then i agree it's a pain but they should be able to do it. As you said, Ant, it should sit around the brake light so that's a pretty good guide.

If you could send or post a pic that would be amazing, Hugo!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The fins should have the double sided tape already attached, but if they don't, it's readily available from motor-factors.

In my personal experience, having the bonding template is no guarantee of correct fitting - even at what is laughably described as an "approved bodyshop". The facilities might be approved, but clearly they pay peanuts (as they employ chimps...)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts