MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Updated: Weekend shift closure and 850 agency staff laid off, confirmed: 850 MINI makers lose their jobs among MINI Convertible launch confusion

----------------------------------

Original post:

----------------------------------

Just spotted this news on the BBC website:

"it was announced that production of the Mini car in the UK would be cut back.

Staff at factories in Oxford and Swindon have had their two-week Christmas shutdown extended to four weeks this year" :eek:

The rest of the article is actually about how new car sales have slumped this year:

BBC NEWS | Business | UK new car sales in sharp decline

Ian

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Yup heard that before, nice long break but anyone that wants to order now won't stand much chance of getting a slot this side of Christmas.

Compared to Honda in Swindon that really isn't that much of a slow down, the Civic line is now on a 3 day week up until 2010 they have been told.

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
The R56 had only been out 9-12 months a year ago, so that would play a factor in the drop of sales in the latter part of this year.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Mini sales down massively!

Mini sales during October were down 40% compared with a year ago - with 1,886 vehicles sold compared with 3,150 in October 2007.

Staff at factories in Oxford and Swindon have had their two-week Christmas shutdown extended to four weeks this year.

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose a year ago they also had the new Clubman to boost sales, even if only the dealer registrations :eek:

But if they need to get on with building some more cars, why not hurry up with my R57 (and all the others waiting for this new model!) :D

But part of the reason for the decline might be also down to market saturation........and the arrival of competitors like Fiat 500 etc......

Ian

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
I've just had a text message from my dealer offering a £750 "deposit contribution" on a new MINI :rolleyes: Note a "deposit contribution", not a discount at all!

What with the general slowdown in demand and the arrival of some serious new competition, along with a display of some remarkable arrogance from BMW with the development of the MINI, I'm pleasantly surprised it's taken this long to happen.

I hope, for the future of the brand and the livelihood of all the staff in Oxford, that this is not a long term trend :(

Tigger.

Reactions: dalboyne

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm trying my best to help them as well, had 4 in the last 18 months :eek:
One of them was replaced FOC though :(

·
JCW time
18,905 Posts
Obviously heard I was getting something else and their forecasts took a beating...:p:eek::eek:

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Tis a shame... :(

...but maybe they can spend the extra time making sure the cars are better built :rolleyes: ;) :p

Reactions: Tara&Paul

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've just had a text message from my dealer offering a £750 "deposit contribution" on a new MINI :rolleyes: Note a "deposit contribution", not a discount at all!

What with the general slowdown in demand and the arrival of some serious new competition, along with a display of some remarkable arrogance from BMW with the development of the MINI, I'm pleasantly surprised it's taken this long to happen.

I hope, for the future of the brand and the livelihood of all the staff in Oxford, that this is not a long term trend :(

Tigger.
Hear hear - I fully agree with all you say, especially though the good wishes not only for MINI staff but also at all their suppliers.

Hopefully now they will build the R57 I want to buy!

Anyone after a limited edition 50th anniversary model?

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
Just got a MINI One today . Its a stunning little car and perfectly put together. Well chuffed, the GP can stay in the garage for the winter. :D

Oh yes , I forgot, I'm not getting any extra holiday :(

The new car makes me not give a damn if I have to work , its fun to drive to work and back for the extra days

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Just got a MINI One today . Its a stunning little car and perfectly put together. Well chuffed, the GP can stay in the garage for the winter. :D

Oh yes , I forgot, I'm not getting any extra holiday :(

The new car makes me not give a damn if I have to work , its fun to drive to work and back for the extra days
Had a One myself the other week, took some getting used to, but it can shift if you use a lot of clutch, but found the mpg only an extra 8 miles more than the MCS.

With this winter weather I've only driven my GP once in the last week:eek:

Don't want it getting dirty:p

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
More news on this topic here:
BBC NEWS | England | Mini production stops for a month
Quote:
Mini sales in the UK during October were down 40% compared with a year ago. But a spokeswoman for the company said there had been a 12% increase on sales worldwide since last year.
BMW spokesperson Angela Stangroom said they were not the only company affected.
"There has been a slowdown in general in terms of car sales in the UK and Mini has been affected by that," she said.
"I think that we have seen a greater reduction in retail sales or cars bought by private individuals.
"Of course, Mini is predominately purchased by those private retail customers."

An earlier BBC report on Sepember MINI sales:
BBC NEWS | England | Oxfordshire | UK Mini sales fall by one fifth
Quote:
"In September, 7,116 of the Cowley-built cars were sold compared with 8,764 in the same month in 2007, which represents a fall of 18.8%."

The other BBC report in Dalboyne's first post however says:-
"Mini sales during October were down 40% compared with a year ago - with 1,886 vehicles sold compared with 3,150 in October 2007."

Why such a big difference in numbers September compared to October :confused:

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
TBH I think the new cars cost too much, for the ones i've specced. mainly Cooper Ss and 211 bhp works. The cheapest Works came out at £23K without JCW extras. Other ones where £25K without JCW extra and no were near the spec of my R53 S.

Plus i can't justify at least £10K plus my S for a New Works, just to save £150 a year on road tax and a couple of miles per gallon.

Sorry if I've annoyed anyone but its my opinion.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts