MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my Cooper in for it's 10,000 mile service. I mentioned to MINI how sluggish my car is with the A/C on. In fact when pulling out into traffic it can be dangerous. Even when the car's up to speed it feels like I'm towing a trailer! I have to alter my driving style to get any kind of performance. When I took my car in they said there was a recall to upgrade the ECU software to the current version 38. Well when I started to drive the car after the fix WOW what a difference! The car is much faster from a standing start and pulls well in low gears especially from 2nd gear. The power remains the same whether the A/C is on or not! I was not notified about this recall so it must be something they do only if you complain or bring the car in for service. I would suggest that all MINI owners have the upgrade done. It will transform your MINI!
Ken

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ken,

Thanks for the info. I've noticed my MC sometimes seems sluggish w/ the AC on too. Glad to hear there's a software fix. Of course now that the fall weather is here, I don't need the AC and the car will be traded before next summer. Oh well, the next owner will enjoy the benefits. :)

Did they mention anything about verion 39? I've seen one or two posts mention it and wondered if that was specific to a different spec, like the "S"

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indi,
The printout they gave me said version 38 so I don't know if the 39 version would apply to a Cooper. Even if you don't use the A/C the difference in performance is dramatic!
Are you trading your MINI for a convertible? I saw convertible Coopers and S's while my car was being serviced. They looked great and are very tempting if it was the beginning of Spring not Winter!
Ken

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
I've never noticed a power difference with my ac on, either on the Cooper, the S or the Works S.... it just doesn't seem to draw power like other cars do....

·
Damned
4,528 Posts
Tony*t3 said:
I've never noticed a power difference with my ac on, either on the Cooper, the S or the Works S.... it just doesn't seem to draw power like other cars do....
Errrr, You`re Kidding ...Right ??
Ive always experianced Massive power loss with the A/C on , admittidly its got a tad better with the new one with the latest software, but its still noticable none the less ... so much so that its Never used in town, & only on Very hot days on motorways :confused:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have just had the V39 upgrade to cure stutter etc and I have an MCS. I also felt the car seemed more positive when accelerating and thought that maybe there was a partial power increase like the newer cars, (170bhp for the MCS) due to EML changes, rest due to mechanical changes ? I have heard that the MCS exhaust has been changed and this is the main difference, but does anyone know if EML changes have affected the power ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts