MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am the owner of a 07 cooper s with optional sports suspension, lowers by extra 10mm i think, the car is fine but seems unstable when hard on the brakes, it has been like this from new and takes the shine off the handling. anyone else had this problem ??I think i read somewhere that the runflats are to blame, has anyone switched to non flats and noticed an improvement cheers

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hi, i am the owner of a 07 cooper s with optional sports suspension, lowers by extra 10mm i think, the car is fine but seems unstable when hard on the brakes, it has been like this from new and takes the shine off the handling. anyone else had this problem ??I think i read somewhere that the runflats are to blame, has anyone switched to non flats and noticed an improvement cheers

First thing to do is check your tyre pressure and then get a steering alignment check.

Fitting normal tyres will improve the handling of your R56 by about 1000%. Toyo and Yokohama make an excellent range of tyres in the original size for our cars, but you can fit a 215mm wide tyre which has a plus 4mm radius to the car, this will decrease the huge amount of daylight under the arches!

The Sport Suspension does not lower the car, the dealer installed JCW Works suspension lowers the car by about 12mm.

Attachments

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
My 07 Cooper S doesn't have the Sports suspension but is equally lethal when braking heavily on an uneven road. My front tyres are the original run-flats which are nearly worn out, I'll be putting non run-flats on as the run-flats are down right dangerous in heavy braking situations.

I checked my tyre presures regularly and never let them drop by more than 2psi. A friend owned a Cooper S and found his car to exhibit the exact same characteristics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It happened to me yesterday and again today - under hard braking the back end starts flapping about, especially on uneven surfaces.

What is it about run flats that cause the twitchy handling? I was thinking its the stiff sidewalls but the semis in my garage never did that (not on the MCS, that's a new toy). Are the run flats really heavy or is there something else which causes this?

I've found that while the car handles well it does feel very remote and a bit wooden - as if you're not really connected to the road. It certainly doesn't inspire much cornering confidence. :frown:

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
On the R53 the brake bias on the mini was quite heavy to the rear. More than on many other cars i have driven. This meant it tended to be quite twitchy at the rear under hard braking.... coupled with the awefull lack of grip from the runflat front tyres this could make heavy braking a bit larey and a little scarey.... i imagine what your seeing is a similar thing on the R56

·
Registered
310 Posts
On the R53 the brake bias on the mini was quite heavy to the rear. More than on many other cars i have driven. This meant it tended to be quite twitchy at the rear under hard braking.... coupled with the awefull lack of grip from the runflat front tyres this could make heavy braking a bit larey and a little scarey.... i imagine what your seeing is a similar thing on the R56
I thought the whole non runflats thing was a myth... Until I swapped my 16" runflats for a set of light weight 17" alloys with normal tyres. The car feels much more stable and sure footed.

I would not go back to RF's again!

·
land of hope and glory
129 Posts
my runflats where awful, always pulled under heavy braking, got rid and got some non runflat low profiles on and its a different car,

personally its the one thing i hated about the mini design as standard, it was the first thing i changed.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks all, I didnt know that about RFs but can confirm on my r56 MCS the same crazyness especially in the wet where the back end just tries to overtake the front under braking in a corner.
You always risk the back stepping out if your going to break in corners... You should do all your braking before the corner when the car is straight, slow in fast out. :D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You always risk the back stepping out if your going to break in corners... You should do all your braking before the corner when the car is straight, slow in fast out. :D
Late braking before the apex is a great way of combatting understeer...............well i like it.

The R56 does not suffer twitchy rear end at all................at least not in mine compared to my last R53:smile:

·
Registered
523 Posts
I know this :)
But sometimes its unavoidable like if the guy you are racing in front of you brake-tests you :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts