MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
M3 CSL
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MCS 04 with BBR conversion and a few months ago had Eibach Pro springs fitted. Today the car was in at my Local BMW stealer to have a KDS alignment done as I hit a pothole a few weeks back and the steering wheel sits slightly off central (to the left by about 5 degs) since. :mad:

The dealer had the car all day and the called me at about 16:45 to report they couldn't do the KDS alignment as the suspension is not one they know. Uh? :confused:

When I got to the dealer the service manager expalined that the KDS machine has 3 settings programmed, 1 for standard, 1 for Schnitzer and 1 for Alpina suspension. They can set any toe in, camber, castor settings if they now what to set them too. But he wasn't happy to do it until I gave the go ahead and agreed on which setting or settings to use.

Could all you technical individuals advise me on what settings work well with Eibach springs or those that have had KDS done please let me know what setting you went for and what were the results. This is a chance for me to get the best setup possible now.

Thanks in advance guys and girls. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
295 Posts
PaulMc said:
I have a MCS 04 with BBR conversion and a few months ago had Eibach Pro springs fitted. Today the car was in at my Local BMW stealer to have a KDS alignment done as I hit a pothole a few weeks back and the steering wheel sits slightly off central (to the left by about 5 degs) since. :mad:

The dealer had the car all day and the called me at about 16:45 to report they couldn't do the KDS alignment as the suspension is not one they know. Uh? :confused:

When I got to the dealer the service manager expalined that the KDS machine has 3 settings programmed, 1 for standard, 1 for Schnitzer and 1 for Alpina suspension. They can set any toe in, camber, castor settings if they now what to set them too. But he wasn't happy to do it until I gave the go ahead and agreed on which setting or settings to use.

Could all you technical individuals advise me on what settings work well with Eibach springs or those that have had KDS done please let me know what setting you went for and what were the results. This is a chance for me to get the best setup possible now.

Thanks in advance guys and girls. :rolleyes:
From what I've read on Mini2, the AC Schniter springs are basically re-labbled eibach springs. I would tell them to set it to the Schnitzer setting personally.

LB

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
Leccy_Blue said:
From what I've read on Mini2, the AC Schniter springs are basically re-labbled eibach springs. I would tell them to set it to the Schnitzer setting personally.

LB
ditto! :)

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Leccy_Blue said:

LB
Good call.;)

·
M3 CSL
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I suggested this to the dealer and he was happy to do it if I wasn't going to bring the car back to say it didn't 'feel right'.

I told the service manager I would gather some information and advice beofre commiting.

So... I spoke to Eibacj themselves and they sia dwithout doubt, that it should be set to the satndard settings. All Eibach fast road components are designed to work with the standard manufacturer settings.

I also spoke to Powerstation in Tewkesbury/Cheltenham, they previously performed 4 wheel alignment and anti bumpsteer mod on my Impreza P1 with great results. A very helpful guy called Kurtis mentioned they do a lot of Mini suspension setups both for road and racecars including work for the local BMW dealers when required.
For good fast road and minimal understeer Kurtis recommended that the Rear camber should be set to 1.5 degs with the OS being slightly more due to the weight of the driver. Rear toe should be set to positive 3mins and front camber to 1 deg and 20 mins, front toe set to postive 4mins.

Can anyone concur with these settings and which do I go for? At he moment I am thinking standard settings and then if needs be take the car to Powerstation at a later date.

Thanks again.

·
M3 CSL
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't believe that none of the technically minded and knowledgable here can't add comment on suspension settings.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Paul may have something to do with the fact you seem not to want to accept the advise already given .... there's mention of settings in an article in the latest GoMINI similar to Kurtis' - you'd be best to make your decision having spoken to the professionals ...

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
PaulMc said:
I can't believe that none of the technically minded and knowledgable here can't add comment on suspension settings.
u sed the tracking was out as far as i'm aware springs wont affect the tracking therefore it doesnt matter what make they are:)

we told ya that the eibachs are the same as ACS springs so thats the rest of the KDS sorted even tho it doesn't need touching.....

so errr wot u wanna know??:confused:

p.s. as far as i know the camber on the rear can't be adjusted on std mini suspension if thats any use to u

·
M3 CSL
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks then for the advice. After having spoken to Eibach, I am having the KDS set for normal settings and see how I get on.

Are the Schnitzer springs made by Eibach, or is it just rumour!? If Eibach manufacture them, then I'll bet they are to ACS's specifications, so a totally different setup to the Eibach Pro kit.

·
M3 CSL
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sga continues

More dilemmas!! I don't think my dealer is the most enthusiastic or capable here. The car is currently in their workshop having the KDS alignment done on an MCS with Eibach springs.
They now say they cannot even do the alignmetn because the car is too low and the lasr and camera cannot communicate under the car. So, they remove the bumber. Now the radiator is still in the way and they are stumped as to what to try. Currently they cannot peform the KDS.

Who here have had KDS done with Eibach springs fitted to an MCS and what dealer was it?

Again, thanks for the help.

·
Deserter Zed
2,204 Posts
PaulMc said:
More dilemmas!! I don't think my dealer is the most enthusiastic or capable here. The car is currently in their workshop having the KDS alignment done on an MCS with Eibach springs.
They now say they cannot even do the alignmetn because the car is too low and the lasr and camera cannot communicate under the car. So, they remove the bumber. Now the radiator is still in the way and they are stumped as to what to try. Currently they cannot peform the KDS.

Who here have had KDS done with Eibach springs fitted to an MCS and what dealer was it?

my car has been KDS'd twice under warrenty with eibachs on, sadly its not an MCS but its still pretty low! although when i originally asked they said they could not do it, since then it has been carried out twice without any reported problems

Bowkers at Preston carried out the work

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
PaulMc said:

I still want to know why they are doing KDS to sort yer tracking out surely there is no need?!?:confused:

·
M3 CSL
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As stated in my original post RedUn, I hit a hole in the road when travelling through roadworks. The steering wheel instantly nolonger sits straight, indicating some movement in the fornt suspension department.! BMW don't do tracking, just KDS. Having KDS is nothing to do with the Eibach suspension being fitted, but unfortunately it is causing the problems for my dealer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts