MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the Eibach Pro spring kit fitted by Cool New in Essex. I had the same concerns as most people about the ride being adversly affected but I was wrong!

The car doesnt get as 'uncomposed' as it used to on bumpy roads and big dips and potholes are dealt with better now with the new springs. The lower ride height really suits the car and it feels more planted at motorway speeds and around town. The ride is not crashy or harsh and I'm running on the original 17" Pirelli Euforia runflats!

Handling wise I've yet to really push it but it grips much better and feels more stable. It feels more like a sports car, before I felt the suspension couldnt cope with long high speed corners so I'm looking forward to trying it out soon.

Ride height is about spot on I would say. It looks lower and has a better stance but unless you compared it side by side to another MCS you probably wouldnt know it. As somebody else on here said, it looks like your not trying too hard!

All in all I'm very happy and if anybody else is considering it, I would say get 'em!

·
Brrrp Brrrp!!!
280 Posts
Thats great news cooperstan! Though i have yet to get my MCS, i am also thinking of getting the Eibach springs.

I was wondering though, what are the dimensions that you lowered the front and the rear?

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
The_Bster said:
Thats great news cooperstan! Though i have yet to get my MCS, i am also thinking of getting the Eibach springs.

I was wondering though, what are the dimensions that you lowered the front and the rear?
according to jsc speed it's 1.0 in the front and 1.2 in the back

how is the ride quality of the springs and do let us know when you go out canyon carving as i'd like to get springs and possibly shocks eventually

·
Pain In The ...
2,715 Posts
stan, id be intreasted to know how your car is in a few months when they have settled.

My one (but has a cooper s front bumper) is fitted with the eibach lowering springs, but im having major trouble getting over speed bumps now where my cars just so low. I can only get on and off my drive 1 way, because the bumpers catching.

Im having to turn around when i hit speed bumps that are all the way across the road, because my car just wont go over them. Even the smaller bumps, when mounted with 1 side of the car is catching.

Dont get me wrong, they have improved the handling of the car, and the ride is no harsher, im very happy with them aswell. I didnt think the car would be droped so low tho, its hard to tell by looking at it because the wide archs make it look like it aint lowered much.

I thought the drop of the springs for the ONE was 20mm, (2002 model) can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Mini Cruiser said:
stan, id be intreasted to know how your car is in a few months when they have settled.

My one (but has a cooper s front bumper) is fitted with the eibach lowering springs, but im having major trouble getting over speed bumps now where my cars just so low. I can only get on and off my drive 1 way, because the bumpers catching.

Im having to turn around when i hit speed bumps that are all the way across the road, because my car just wont go over them. Even the smaller bumps, when mounted with 1 side of the car is catching.

Dont get me wrong, they have improved the handling of the car, and the ride is no harsher, im very happy with them aswell. I didnt think the car would be droped so low tho, its hard to tell by looking at it because the wide archs make it look like it aint lowered much.

I thought the drop of the springs for the ONE was 20mm, (2002 model) can anyone confirm this?
Ive experienced similar now my springs have bedded in but for myself its with slight rubbing on the front arches normally only wen i first set off on a journey. But then again my trye profiles are probly the widest you can fit to a mini at 225/35/18. The ride is quite bumpy as you'd expect but the handling is much improved!

I was wondering whther youv ever experienced any rubbing Mini Cruiser? before you widened your arches i mean?

I also thought the drop on eibachs was 30mm for the one and cooper and 20mm for the cooper S, i cud be wrong tho!

Regards

Ray

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Mini Cruiser said:

That's my only concern about getting my car lowered. I've been behind lowered Mini's on Runs so I've seen how easily they bottom out.:(

·
Deserter Zed
2,204 Posts
mine bottoms a bit, really not that bad, an its only that rubbish lip thing under the bumper anyway, you have to really try to catch the metal behind!

S bumpers go on sooon!! more fun!!

the ride height drop is a average of 20mm but varys depending on what suspention you have, as the SS and SS+ are shorter springs that the std suspention.

B

·
265 Posts
Rayman said:
I also thought the drop on eibachs was 30mm for the one and cooper and 20mm for the cooper S, i cud be wrong tho!
It sounds like the pro kit is generic for all mini models, but the drop varies depending on the model. I would be interested if some can confirm this.

·
Deserter Zed
2,204 Posts
Amigo said:
It sounds like the pro kit is generic for all mini models, but the drop varies depending on the model. I would be interested if some can confirm this.
like i sed, havin purchased 15 sets of these and fitted about 5, all the springs are the same regardless of model, its your previous suspention that matters, ppl on std ONE suspentsion will drop more than ppl on SS+ as they were lower to begin with, in theory every will b tha same ride height after 'bachin.

Ben

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK. Had a bit more time to assess the new suspension setup now and I'm still very pleased.

Handling, stability and outright grip are now far better than before. Corners can be taken much harder and with more commitment and it feels more adjustable in the corner. I actually feel closer to the road now and more like I'm in the car rather than on a perch. My previous car was a Porsche 944 Turbo with H&R lowering springs and Koni Sport adjustable shocks and adjustable anti-roll bars. The ride on that was very harsh in comparison, although suspension technology has come a long way in the last 15-20 or so years since that car was developed.

The best way I can think of to describe the cars ride (I have 17" S Lites and Pirelli runflats btw) is that it's basically the same but if you could go over a pothole at say 30mph before, you could probably only go over it at 20/25mph now before you get the same sort of jolt/vibration through the car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Do you have any pics of your S lowered? or does anyone else? On other cars the lowered ride height is always flattering but id love to see with my own eyes before i splash the cash.

·
Maxin' and Relaxin'
423 Posts
Minirichc said:
Do you have any pics of your S lowered? or does anyone else? On other cars the lowered ride height is always flattering but id love to see with my own eyes before i splash the cash.
check my gallery mate, theres a few in there. they were taken the same week it was lowered so it might sit even lower now, hard to tell as any drop will only be slight and over a few weeks.

·
Brass Cannons
3,488 Posts
Minirichc said:
Hi mate, I've attached a couple of shots of my MINI with Eibachs the first shot is the day it was done, the second after 10,000 KMs,

I love them and have had NO problems with rubbing, scraping or bottoming out,

Attachments

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
About this Discussion
74 Replies
26 Participants
MiniFr34k
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing