MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
brought myself a 54 plate mini one is got two years warrentty on it the thing is now and again i keep getting a static shock off the body (metal)

when engine is on then turned off, i get out of car touh the metal to close the door and i get a shock anybody had this? it only happens now and again

will the warrenty cover this because shorly it shouldnt do that

·
Registered
849 Posts
It happens to me a lot, whichever car I get out of (also on the handrails on the stairs in Ikea but that's another story). Check the synthetic content of your clothing, I'm told that is a contributory factor. You used to be able to put funny little rubber 'tails' on cars to counteract this problem. You could have the car checked out by the dealer but be prepared to be told to wear less lycra. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It happens to me a lot, whichever car I get out of (also on the handrails on the stairs in Ikea but that's another story). Check the synthetic content of your clothing, I'm told that is a contributory factor. You used to be able to put funny little rubber 'tails' on cars to counteract this problem. You could have the car checked out by the dealer but be prepared to be told to wear less lycra. ;)

lol so i aint on my own on this one ,

·
Mini_Me_Emma
47 Posts
brought myself a 54 plate mini one is got two years warrentty on it the thing is now and again i keep getting a static shock off the body (metal)

when engine is on then turned off, i get out of car touh the metal to close the door and i get a shock anybody had this? it only happens now and again

it happens to me alot too, only got the car on the 3d june, still not used to the shocks.....swear every time it happens haha!

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
Ah, it happens to me too. There's a special trick to avoiding it...

...offer someone lifts to the places you want to go, and when you both get out the car you wait for them to close their door first - thus absorbing the shock from the bodywork. You may then close your own door completely shock-free. ;) :p :D

Alternatively, when on your own, close the door by holding onto the edge of the glass when the windows are up.

edit: Oh, and...

You used to be able to put funny little rubber 'tails' on cars to counteract this problem.

Look into that before actually doing it - I've heard it can have a detrimental effect on your car during electrical storms... it makes your car's bodywork more likely to be a lightning strike site by grounding it. :eek:

All the best,
Andrew.

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
a good way to get rid of this static build up is to touch some exposed metal in the car before you get out - a door edge or around the window, just somewhere trim free where you can touch metal (it doesn't matter if it's painted). This then allows the static to discharge through the car rather than through you. My wife's car with velour seats does it a lot, mine with leather never does it

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just touch the door shut and keep hold of it untill ya out of the car!! then let go!
or rest any part of your skin against the metal until ya outa the car......
works everytime
its not a fault with the car and certainly not a warranty issue

·
Josh01
21 Posts

Change your shoes. Got my self a 57 cooper back in May this happened to me every time, as some one said unless I ground my self first, wore rebok traineers all the time they wore out so got my self some Hi-Tech Squash never happened since then.:smile:

·
Registered
6 Posts
here is the cure!

Ok Guys and Girls... I give you the simple solution that is proven to work.

Static electricity is builds up as a charge on your body - mostly when you are climbing out of the vehicle and gives you a nasty shock on your fingers when touching any of the metal parts of the car (or some other metallic objects).

SOLUTION: While you are getting out of the car, put your bare hand on the door frame (the lock counterpart for example) and KEEP touching it until both of your feet touch the ground.

It's that simple. I pretty much guarantee this works. It did for me anyhow. :)

- re2

·
Registered
301 Posts
This happens to me and my girlfriend all the time, it seems to me minis are bad for it for some reason.
Its never happend with any other car ive had or drive but it happens every time i get out the mini .

·
Registered
61 Posts
this happens to me too,
i did my work experience at Mclaren and got static shocks everytime i opened a door, (they have a wind tunnel that makes loads of static electricity, and all the doors are metal!)
They taught me a trick that if you touch the metal with the base of your hand first, (the bit on your plam just above your wrist) you still feel the shock happen but it doesnt hurt like it does your fingers, then you can touch it with your fingers as the build up of static is gone, try it!

·
Registered
262 Posts
There are numerous reasons why you could get a 'Static' shock when exiting your car.
The main ones are the carpets/car mats and footware, as you are driving your feet are moving and rubbing on the carpet, this builds up static. Nylon carpets are the worst for this, try using velour, wool or rubber mats. Shoes can play an important part in this, rubber or leather soled footware will reduce the static buildup, but it is quiet common in cheaper footware for the sole to have a polyethelene content which will encourage static build up.

The second reason it could happen is clothing against seating, Lycra is notoriously bad. This why people using leather seating will not encounter the same problems as people with fabric seat covering.

One other thing is people themselves, some people are more prone than others to static shocks, I know I am, even walking around in the office at work then touching the metal handrail on the stairwell gives me a belt, thats mainly due to the nylon carpet tiles used in the office.
Putting a static discharge strap on the rear of the car may help, but be sure that it will touch the ground when the car is stopped, and don't like many people do fix it to the plastic bodywork (it won't work) it has to be fitted to the metalwork of the car. And I think they look ugly. If you do a lot of stop/start driving it will wear away very quickly and will after a short time not touch the ground anyway offering no disharge properties.

So unless you can afford a luxury car will leather seats and wool carpets it doesn't matter which car it is, you may suffer. I have found that the velour matting supplied with the car does reduce the effect considerably.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The velour floor mats are the culprit! :) happens to me a lot as well....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmm....it only happens to me when i'm out of the car, both feet on the ground and i go to shut the door...boy is it bad, my arm aches for hours after a really bad one...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts