MINI Cooper Forum banner

Electrical faults + phone. Any connection?

• Cars electrically OK. No phone fitted

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Cars electrically OK. Phone fitted

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Electrical faults. No phone fitted.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Electrical faults. Phone fitted.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have set this poll to see if their may be a connection between the various electrical faults and mobile phone kits. I'll explain.
I used to have one of these plug and go hands free units for my mobile phone that just plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. Occasionally the unit used to turn itself off and on again whilst driving. I don't think it fitted the lighter socket properly. I had some strange electronic problems occur after fitting this unit. The aircon stopped working, the lights on alarm stopped working and the boot, bonnet warning light stopped working. My dealer could only conclude that this was due to a faulty earth lead. Replaced. Problems solved. Two weeks later and the problems re-surfaced, but only after the mobile phone unit played up again. I've now taken the unit out of the car. After disconnecting the battery to re-set the computer, everything has been fine for over a month?

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I used to have a 'plug and go' kit for my Nokia 7110 & I now have a proper Nokia car kit fitted for my 6210.

I am yet to experience any electrical problems with my MINI.

:)
Before:

After:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
MINI gives you wings...

monsta said:
I used to have a 'plug and go' kit for my Nokia 7110 & I now have a proper Nokia car kit fitted for my 6210.

I am yet to experience any electrical problems with my MINI.
Good to see the MINI logo in full effect on your mobile;)

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Monsta. The "before" picture is the style of unit that I think gave me problems! :(

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I never had any problems with mine, except people couldn't here what I was saying!

I recommend getting a proper one though as they are fantastic. Especially when you get a 'mute lead' so that you don't have to have an external speaker attached. Radio off - phone ringing through the stereo :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts