MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have just got an 02 plate mini cooper, which i love, however it is infested with electrical gremlins and I am hoping that somebody on this forum canhelp me out!!

Basically yesterday, I shoot the car with the remote key and ...

The door didnt unlock and the Drivers side indicator came on and stayed on, no flashing.
I unlock the door with the key, no other locks activate.
I start the car; the headlights are on permanently?
The interior heater fan dips down in speed occasionally
The indicators, wiper, fan recirc and heated rear window buttons, full beams, spots, locks, elec windows etc do not work, all that works on the centre console is a dipping fan and the radio.

I turn the car off, lock the door and the indicator stayed on and ran the battery flat.

So i called the AA as i was hoping he could diagnose an earthing fault or something.

He recharged the battery and to his credit spent a good couple of hours checking the earthing points all over the car, engine, body and chassis. he also (as i did) inspected the fuse and relay box to no avail.

I looked through the service history and it said a wire was fixed under warranty under the passenger seat a few years back to cure an unknown set of elec faults. The car has been stood for a bout 3 months and i think it may have got a bit damp (at a guess)

I took it to B&R garages in Tremorfa, Cardiff today to be plugged into a dignostic as i had no other choice. They came up blank, as its an intermittant problem and i think that when they plugged it in it had started working again. I think it could be my BC1 thats got a bit damp, reading other threads on here... any ideas?

Any help really really appreciated and i lok forward to being a part of this forum.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Yes, its almost certainly your BC1 that is damp, let it dry out then fit the later cover as described below asap and you may be lucky:

The BC1 (Body Control Unit) is in the drivers side (UK) footwell, it controls many electrical items and can send many things haywire if even a drip of water gets into its pcb connectors until it dries out. If you pull the footwell bonnet catch lever, hold it open & shine in a torch behind the trim panel you will see the top 2 (Blue) multiway connectors to the BC1 or a black plastic cover. Early MINI's (pre 2003 approx) did not have the black plastic shield over the connectors to protect them from any small drips of water running down cable harness inside the windscreen pillar. Later cars do, my 2002 Mini only had a piece of clear plastic film draped over the connectors (a factory or dealer stop gap fix I guess) and was randomly locking / unlocking the central locking by itself after any rain / wet weather, washing the car, etc. I removed the inner sill plastic trim panel & fitted the later water shield cover (part no.61356942512 approx. £2) over the 2 top connector plugs.
Link: See Diagram Item 9
If this is the problem do not ignore as long term corrosion inside the BC1 means a new unit.....very expensive outside warranty.

(If the BC1 is replaced with a new or secondhand unit it would normally need to be re-programmed by a BMW dealer.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts