MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if this had happened to anyone else,

the other day it was raining and i was on my way hoe with my g/friend, poodlin along with my wipers going my stereo on lights on etc when suddenly my windscreen wipers stopped half way my lights cut out......... everythin died apart from my engine.

as scary as this was luckily i was in a lit area, not country back lanes, mini are less than useless

i went to my dealer who tried to plug it in to the diagnostics, but it wont read it at all..... hmmmnn i found out my clifford stops it and u have to put the car into valet, so i poodled back to bmw, and they still cant read my diagnostics???

also my clock has stopped working and will not keep a memory let alone stay on for more than 2 mins at a time??

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Check that your Clifford alarm isn't mucking up the ECU electronics. I installed a cheap mobile phone handsfree kit and I lost some of the warning lights and sounds. I took out the phone kit, disconected the battery to re-set the ECU, and it's been fine since. An auto-electrician at work found out the problem.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not the clifford, if it was the clifford that was the problem then the whole car including the engine would have cut out, cos of the immobiliser and the way its wired,

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
mini-mini said:
its not the clifford, if it was the clifford that was the problem then the whole car including the engine would have cut out, cos of the immobiliser and the way its wired,
zoooooom fits this stuff for a living, but R1 could be right. The Engine management and general electrics work on two different control units. The siemens unit controls the main car electrics. Your alarm could be effecting this without affecting the engine managment. If your alarm has sensors to activate on door openings, windows forced etc, it would be connected to the siemens unit wouldn't it ?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I can't speak for the Clifford alarm (I have always built my own) but many of them simply monitor the battery voltage. A sudden slight drop, such as due to the interior light coming on when the door is open, triggers it. They may also have a microphone that will sense broken glass, plus a tilt switch to sense when the car is moved. There are some fancy ultrasonic alarms that protect the interior and even some that sense body capacitance and will warn someone in a computer generated voice when they get too close to the car. (I think a large "junk yard dog" sleeping in the back seat might do just as well.) The aftermarket alarm sensors should be independent of the sensors in the Siemens system, but there could be some interactivity if the Siemens alarm system also monitors the battery voltage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts