MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My electrics stopped working inside the car.

the indicators, heating, wipers and interior lights on dials. I read around and see that the aftermarket stereo can affect this so i took the fuse out of that. 10 minutes later or so this was completely fine and everything started working again. I left it for a couple of days and then put the fuse back in and everything was working fine. A couple of weeks later I had the same problem and then I went through the same process and took out fuse again then 10 mins later everything working again. I left my car for 10 mins or so and came back and started it again and now i have the same problem as original.

Seems to be happening when its raining i suspect but cant remember exactly the days its rained and when I've had problems. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be or how I could fix this?

I do not have sunroof.

thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Justto add to that this. I came back today and the hazards were on constant with the car not started. not blinking, constant after 10 minutes or so all the electrics on car started working again. came back later the same problem everything has gone again.
Hi

My electrics stopped working inside the car.

the indicators, heating, wipers and interior lights on dials. I read around and see that the aftermarket stereo can affect this so i took the fuse out of that. 10 minutes later or so this was completely fine and everything started working again. I left it for a couple of days and then put the fuse back in and everything was working fine. A couple of weeks later I had the same problem and then I went through the same process and took out fuse again then 10 mins later everything working again. I left my car for 10 mins or so and came back and started it again and now i have the same problem as original.

Seems to be happening when its raining i suspect but cant remember exactly the days its rained and when I've had problems. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be or how I could fix this?

I do not have sunroof.

thanks
tyo

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The BCM (body control module) sits by your right foot, it is prone to getting wet and it sounds like yours may be getting wet when it rains.
This was a common issue with early cars, Mini addressed it by placing a cover over the electrical connectors.
I suggest you remove it and check for signs of water damage.
You can use electrical cleaner (not wd40) on the plugs to clean them, but if it’s damaged inside then you face a different problem.
The bad news, they are configured to each individual car, so buying a secondhand one is not a viable option (some say you can find some to swap, but it’s a bit hit and miss as they are configured to your cars options so need to match, ie satnav, chrono pack etc.
The better news, they can usually be fixed, Google “ECU repairs” as there are a lot of companies who offer this service (sorry I can’t recommend one) a good one will check it for damage first to confirm it’s faulty.
A search here on Google for “mini bcm” will tell you more and confirm the above.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
deffo water i would think like above needs drying out wd40 switch cleaner and leave in hot place for a hour, i then get a plastic bag and seal it inside cable tie the bag opening to where the cables are with a dad of sealant is good way to keep dry, if is damaged a genuine one with programming main dealers will be over £700 close to grand, its possible to have then cloned BBA REMEN do such things and they also repair them,, common is relays inside go wonky need soldering on and off circuit board also they are mount in between two layers so these need to be separated remove solder point to spit,
below link a idea of what they look like 20amp circuit mounted

Reactions: stephencc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update - Ive come back home today everything is working(maybe dried out). Do you think I should get it out whilst its dry and working? especially with rain on the way? Ive ordered a BCU cover which comes next week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
deffo water i would think like above needs drying out wd40 switch cleaner and leave in hot place for a hour, i then get a plastic bag and seal it inside cable tie the bag opening to where the cables are with a dad of sealant is good way to keep dry, if is damaged a genuine one with programming main dealers will be over £700 close to grand, its possible to have then cloned BBA REMEN do such things and they also repair them,, common is relays inside go wonky need soldering on and off circuit board also they are mount in between two layers so these need to be separated remove solder point to spit,
below link a idea of what they look like 20amp circuit mounted
Hi mate, Seal it in the bag and then put it back in? do I have to disconnect the battery before removing it? sorry for questions I haven't done anything like this before.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You can check to see if your BCM has a cover by pulling the bonnet lever and then holding the lever open (not the bonnet) and using a torch to look inside. If you have the black BCU cover it will be obvious. Don't forget to shut your bonnet afterwards!

My Mini is December 2002 and has a BCU cover.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can check to see if your BCM has a cover by pulling the bonnet lever and then holding the lever open (not the bonnet) and using a torch to look inside. If you have the black BCU cover it will be obvious. Don't forget to shut your bonnet afterwards!

My Mini is December 2002 and has a BCU cover.
mine is a sliver BCU and it doesn’t have any cover. I can see signs of water when I opened it up but at the moment everything is running smooth again. I’m thinking of sealing it up and before any rain comes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

took the BCU out to have a look and dry it. The connectors look like they have water damage but inside the BCU looked ok or am I wrong? The connectors inside the car were similar I’ve given them some contact cleaner turned them upside down to dry. It was pretty damp along the bottom of the car where BCU is and the underside of rug which is foam is full of water! Going to leave to dry for a bit and re connect but not feeling to hopeful at the moment!

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
518 Posts
Where are you storing you car at a boat ramp! I am sorry for what you are going through. But the computer is a solid state unit. I have only heard about 1 problem of a ecu and a couple problems about a C.A.S. unit. The one problem with the ECU had to do with someone that supposedly claimed that there cam sensor was no longer working due to the fact that the ECU burned up the diode(which is a transistor type thingy in the on the computer board).
The other reasons seem real far fetched mainly due the fact they lost the keys fobs to the car and other non sensicle reasons. I do have my car in a garage all the time. But it use to be out on the street for a number of years. And that street in front of my house channels cold air in the winter down it. That street also has a noticeable crown in the center and causes most cars or trucks to have a hard time starting considering that it is leaning about 6 inches when pulled up the curb lower on the passenger side. If there is nothing visually burned on the board and you clean it with alcohol. I would imagine it is still good as new. Not really knowing the wattage of the mainboard I don't know if I would put die electric grease on it for the future as that tends to work with higher voltage type car,trucks. Newer cars have steered clear of that it seems. possibly because of new plastic connectors.
What you can do is sell it if you don't want it. I would try to find someone with a mini and swap that into there car(not likely they would I would). or purchase a new unit and see if that solves your problem if not. I may not be the ECU.
In My opinion I think that is good and your problem lies somewhere else. I have put my mini through a number. Really over this last year when I rebuilt it. Jump starting it and the starter grounding out when I forgot to unplug the battery before trying to remove it. Did not harm anything. along with a bunch of other stuff electric related. although I have never tried to install a different stereo or anything else electric related that cannot be plugged in the lighter like a usb or even an inverter for plugging in my laptop. Never had wiring issues either and I am the only owner of the car so that might be something someone else did to your car that owned it before.
I would clean that board with isopropal alcohol and put it back together and leave it alone focus on a different area. you need your money for the real problems that occur on a mini. That is one thing I have learned over the years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cleaned it all up got rid of water residue and then dried it out with hair dryer. Plugged it back in and we were all go again! Everything working was really pleased. Went to start this morning and everything has gone again. Could there be a problem with what’s powering the footwell module?

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
518 Posts
If I were face with something that severe and no one to turn to. I would start disabling unnecessary systems. Like the stereo. As you did. When it's raining if you have a sunroof you might want to remove the computer board that is on the roof after you remove the headliner. If you sunroof leaks.
As with any stereo installation if you did anything wierd like upgrade the alternator or wiring to that in order to power your stereo or render a aftermarket alternator for that purpose; that might be what is going on. In which case they will throw battery ,lights abs lights fail to charge the battery and fail to deliver sufficient charge. To other sytems in the car. These are some of the basic things modern stereo installation and 3 wire install tell people about. Also it is what aftermarket alternator builders for stereos and fog light will tell you also. you may have a bad alternator. At least they are not 550 dollars U.S. anymore; on the same token I bought mine back when the only one offered for the R56 was the stock OEM brand.

·
Registered
219 Posts
mine is a sliver BCU and it doesn’t have any cover. I can see signs of water when I opened it up but at the moment everything is running smooth again. I’m thinking of sealing it up and before any rain comes.
You can buy the covers used from eBay very cheaply. I recommend that you buy one and fit it. It won't fix any damage done but will prevent further problems.

Link to eBay (plenty of others for sale): BMW MINI R50 R53 Basic Body Control Module Unit ECU BCM Connector Plug Cover | eBay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts