MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Firstly, i would like to say how good this site is, stacked with info! love it

The problem i am having is as follows, My girlfriends car is a 51 plate mini cooper.

From a cold start, the engine is running for about a minute and the Engine cooling fan cuts in for 5 seconds and then turns itself off, about another 30 seconds to a minute passes and the Fan cuts in again for 5 seconds. Once driving ( Above idle Speed ) i cannot tell if the fan is still cutting at these intervals, but i imagine it is as after a 5 min journey, we stop at some traffic lights for example, it cuts in again for only 5 seconds and then cuts out.

I have searched though the form to see if anyone else has had this problem but only find problems about the fan getting stuck on after the engine is off.

Hopefully, one of the Mini experts can help me.... unfortunatly the warrenty ran out on the car 2 weeks ago! but have a friend who works at BMW who should be able to get it fixed on "Good Will" but would really like to know what the problem is for my own refernce and to help them out as they have had a quick look after hours and did not find anything???!!!????

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

·
Registered
263 Posts
Cooling fan

If I am reading your post correctly, I had a similar problem. In my case, it turned out to be a bad (bent) auxiliary fan. My guess is the temperature monitor was busted - they replaced it under warranty.

Adam

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
Mine does it too. As far as I can tell there is no problem with the car. It doesn't overheat, there is no problem with the fan itself and I can't fault it for coming on early rather than late.

I think it's just the way it works. It would be interesting if other owners could check this for us *hint* *hint* ;);):D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys, its a relief to see that some other people are or have had the same problem.

As far as i can see this is a problem, maybe not a bad problem, but still something is not right.

This has only started to happen in the past 2 weeks, we have had the car for 2 years, i would hope that we would have noticed the problem before now!!??!!

"I had a similar problem. In my case, it turned out to be a bad (bent) auxiliary fan. My guess is the temperature monitor was busted"

Could you give me a bit more information on the above statement,? such as where the auxilary fan is for me to check, also, what did The dealer fix, was it the temp guage or the fan.... Must be to early in the morning for me!!!

Thanks again, and i welcome anyone elses input into this subject...

Cheers

·
Registered
299 Posts
Amigos my fan started to go off on itself ever since I moved to Puerto Rico, I am out of warranty since I have 53k on 02 "S", I was hit from behind and then the problems got worse , before I just had to disconnected from the radiator area and it would repair itself now after the accident the SOB would never stop so the day I went to claim thru so called MANDATORY insurance some aholes here in my island cant afford a real one. They would not pay for it I go home ****ed off a hell and gues what the fan stopped Ill be darned, today with the weather at 88 degrees Farenheit the SOB starts all over again. I have to know that this is defect these cars have and there is no recall except if you are warranty hence I AM NOT!!!!!!. I ll wait till tomorrow Thanksgiving day here in Puerto Rico and check and see if it acts up again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts