MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
F43i0
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I was on my way to the NorthWest run and luckily i had just left my house and the Engine & Eml lights came on.I had lost all power. I turned the car off and restarted it, only the engine light was on now and the car didnt feel the best, when i put my foot down it wasnt very respoonsive. I then brought it over 4000 revs and the EML light came on again and i lost all power again. I then turned it off again and restarted it and the EML light went off but the engine light was still on. The car had earlier in the week felt a little jerky and not responsive but i hadnt though much of it.

I then brought it down to the dealer and they said that they were really busy and they could not get a mechanic to look at it for me :mad: . The best they could do was to provide me with a car later on in the evening, not much use to me at all. So i brought it home and i opened up the bonnet, touched a few pipes and had a look around. Everything seem'd normal. I started it back up and the engine light had gone away. The car was back to normal and felt as good as ever, so luckily i managed to make it to the run and have a great time :)

Anybody else had a similiar experience and know the root of the problem???

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
My car is at the dealership today for EXACTLY the same problem. It happened first about a month ago and they couldn't find a fault with it :( but then last week it did it a couple of times, and even on the way to the dealer this morning it did it again. Just lost all power.

I will let you know what my dealer says when I speak to them next ;)

·
F43i0
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ButtonIt said:
My car is at the dealership today for EXACTLY the same problem. It happened first about a month ago and they couldn't find a fault with it :( but then last week it did it a couple of times, and even on the way to the dealer this morning it did it again. Just lost all power.

I will let you know what my dealer says when I speak to them next ;)

Thanks
I am waiting on a call back form the dealer to see if they'll take mine in, in the morning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2004 Mini is at the dealer right now with the same problem, they said the problem is the "Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor".
I've been having the problem for some months now and haven't been able to get it to the dealer till yesterday. All I did for the mean time is to unplug the sensor and the problem went away, but the SES light stayed on.
The sensor is mounted on the throttle body and is visible from the top, sort of a oblong connector about 1" wide, with 4 wires going to it.

·
F43i0
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SD_Mini said:
My 2004 Mini is at the dealer right now with the same problem, they said the problem is the "Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor".
I've been having the problem for some months now and haven't been able to get it to the dealer till yesterday. All I did for the mean time is to unplug the sensor and the problem went away, but the SES light stayed on.
The sensor is mounted on the throttle body and is visible from the top, sort of a oblong connector about 1" wide, with 4 wires going to it.
I'll mention that to them when i leave it in. It could save me a lot of hassle. Thanks

·
F43i0
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ButtonIt said:
My dealer has said exactly what SD_Mini has described. Got a new part being shipped to the dealer overnight so I'll get my car back tomorrow now :(
My dealer rang me up just there and said considering its only a yellow light there is no need to bring it in and i mentioned also what SD_Mini described and he just said "if it happens again bring it in" :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Don't Wait !!

fabio - that's typical dealer service dept tosh !!

Just tell 'em it's happened again and get it into the dealer to be fixed - if you wait, next time you might be overtaking, lose all power and be looking at the car coming the other way !! if anyone's followed you, they'll not see brake lights, just you slowing down v rapidly as they collide into the back of you !! this almost happened to a friend of mine in his MINI ....

Just friendly advice, felt I shud as I'd not want anything to happen and feel guilty for not having forewarned you - please be safe

Fabio said:
My dealer rang me up just there and said considering its only a yellow light there is no need to bring it in and i mentioned also what SD_Mini described and he just said "if it happens again bring it in" :confused: :confused:

·
F43i0
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
J1JPE said:
fabio - that's typical dealer service dept tosh !!

Just tell 'em it's happened again and get it into the dealer to be fixed - if you wait, next time you might be overtaking, lose all power and be looking at the car coming the other way !! if anyone's followed you, they'll not see brake lights, just you slowing down v rapidly as they collide into the back of you !! this almost happened to a friend of mine in his MINI ....

Just friendly advice, felt I shud as I'd not want anything to happen and feel guilty for not having forewarned you - please be safe
Thanks alot for the advice. I'll give it a few days then i'll give them a phone call.

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
Well they replaced the inlet manifold sensory thingy :rolleyes: and the car drives like a dream now. Where before I could often feel a sort of "flat spot" every now and then while accelerating hard, I now have super smooth acceleration. It really has made a difference I feel.

·
F43i0
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ButtonIt said:
before I could often feel a sort of "flat spot" every now and then while accelerating hard, I now have super smooth acceleration. It really has made a difference I feel.

Glad to hear everything is runinng good again and they sprted out your problem

I had that problem before the major problem occured but it seems to be perfect now, it due for a service soon so i'll wait til then to get it fixed

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
Everything is not well :(

After getting the car back from the dealer on Wednesday, it started doing it again on Saturday night (halfway through the darkness run). Anyway as a result I had to call out MINI assist and get the car transported home.

Need to phone the dealer again today :(

·
F43i0
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ButtonIt said:
Everything is not well :(

After getting the car back from the dealer on Wednesday, it started doing it again on Saturday night (halfway through the darkness run). Anyway as a result I had to call out MINI assist and get the car transported home.

Need to phone the dealer again today :(
:(
Theres nothing worse than that, been on a run and the car brakes down, typical.
Luckily mine has been okay. Hopefully your garage can sort it out, the new sensor might be faulty also :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts